blackberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percival

Regular.
Reaction score
hey there brewing nuts

i just bottled my blackberry wine and as is the privilege of the brewer i drank a bottle from the demijohn.

My goodness, what a wonderful surprise. its a medium dry red wine that tastes wonderful. if it was £4-5 per bottle i would keep buying it. The dryness is something like an aussie shiraz. if you disagree with my rating of aussie shiraz dryness then you can calibrate according to your expertise from my description. The colour is between a rose and a red, i/e/ not deep red. i only had a dark glass demijohn from conditioning stage onwards, prior to that it was in clear glass and only sometimes was it wrapped in a teatowel to exclude light. It's crystal clear tho. Started in august. i'm exceptionally pleased with the result and encourage anyone who wants to brew a dryish red wine to give this a go. My basic recipe came from berry's book of course. The blackberries were almost certainly organic and huge and sweet due to pruning. They also ripened early, probably due to pruning and also being in sunlight for most of the day due to being high up in a tree. They tasted sweeter and fruitier than is the norm for wild bramble fruits.

Regardless of the details i will be foraging as many black berries as possible next year (autumn time ish) for a big brew of a few gallons based on this result.

if you like you wines red and dryish then this is a country wine marvel that will compete with grape wines priced at a few pounds per bottle. The cost to brewers of course is time and effort.

if you are interested than gimme a shout here and i'll post more details about the recipe. next year i'll be taking gravity readings, but as far as falling over potential is concerned i reckon this is about 11-14% ABV. Flavour would be hard to improve on, colour could be deeper red, clarity hard to improve on. ABV could be better controlled.

One thing I have noticed regarding blackberry wine is that the lovely red colour fades very rapidly (within 3-6 months) to a dingy brown . . . so this is one of those wines that is ideal for making and drinking quickly . . . . If you cut back on the sugar to bring it down to around 10-11% it makes a nice quaffing wine.

Its already very quaffable.
its over 4 months old now.
unstable colour is not unusual and also not a concern for me, most important is the taste and its yummy. Dark glass and dark spaces help to maintain the colour.

i'll be making it again, top class result, and sticking to the recipe that has worked so well this time. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

if you are interested than gimme a shout here and i'll post more details about the recipe. next year i'll be taking gravity readings, but as far as falling over potential is concerned i reckon this is about 11-14% ABV. Flavour would be hard to improve on, colour could be deeper red, clarity hard to improve on. ABV could be better controlled.

I'm interested if you're still around?

Wow - 11 - 14% is a BIG range so reading next time a good idea. Either that just go by the time it takes from quaffing to reaching horizontal!

Joking aside we did a blackberry this year and it is our favourite by a long way!. I will certainly not be so 'sharing' and considerate next time I hit the Bramble bushes!

We used the online Brewbitz recipe.

Made mine in September (also Brewbitz) and it's lovely, mine is definitely a Rose though as I messed up racking and added too much water to top back up to the neck. Only sampled two bottles, the other ten are put away.

I found some leftovers in the freezer (4lb), and also had some Elderberries left (1lb 11oz), so I mixed them with 4lbs sugar - and oh boy !!!! A million times better, proper red and full of body.

Elderberry on its own , the jury is out - that will have to wait a year as when bottling, it tasted like a sip of grass.

Made mine in September (also Brewbitz) and it's lovely, mine is definitely a Rose though as I messed up racking and added too much water to top back up to the neck. Only sampled two bottles, the other ten are put away.

I found some leftovers in the freezer (4lb), and also had some Elderberries left (1lb 11oz), so I mixed them with 4lbs sugar - and oh boy !!!! A million times better, proper red and full of body.

Elderberry on its own , the jury is out - that will have to wait a year as when bottling, it tasted like a sip of grass.

You made wine that tasted of grass?

It's a good wine, better for being almost free :mrgreen: Got 4 gallons aging at the moment with a twist of a few add sloes this year. Had to throw one gallon from last years batch, I'd had just messed about about with it too much. Some have been sparkling others still, always a nice surprise when opening a bottle of blackberry.

@Deltabrew making wine from certain grass is still illegal...lol :lol:

Back