Palmers Mill Run Dry Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone ever brewed the stout from the Palmer book? At the moment I am in the middle of a run of 4 brews based on Palmer recipes, I've just done the Amber, I'm planning the the Brown the weekend after next (ingredients all ready) and then the Porter and Stout in Nov.

The Stout recipe is more or less (i've slightly adjusted amounts and subbed Fuggles out for Mt Hood (because I have that in the freezer):

pale ale 3.5kg
crystal 60 500g
roasted barley 250g
flaked barley 250g
Nugget 20g @60
Mt Hood 30g @30

Thing is, over here I am struggling to find a supplier for flaked barley. Or to even work out what it is. I can get Carafa special de-husked barley

(http://eshop.sladovna-kounice.cz/Ba...arafa-Special-from-dehusked-barley-I-d154.htm)

But not sure its the same thing, think I'd need to manipulate it in some way.

Wondering what the effect on the brew would be of removing the flaked barley and doubling up on the roasted barley? Or removing it and adding like extra 100g pale, 100g crystal 60 and 50g roasted barley or something similar?

Cheers!

Flaked barley (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't add much in the way of flavour. It does help head retention though. Very well.

I wouldn't replace it with roasted barley however, as you'll be significantly altering the flavour profile. The flaked barley could be left out with little or no noticeable difference. Oats would be a good replacement.

You can buy it in health food shops if that helps you any.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Thanks Marty, I've just worked out what it is in Czech. My regular health store is sold out but should be able to pick some up elsewhere. I just found an ancient discussion on flaked barley vs carapils on another forum, very interesting.

Back