Fastferment keeps leaking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a fast ferment and it keeps leaking. Everything is wrapped in PTFE tape and done up tight. Has anyone else had this issue?

A related side: Fastferments are not worth the money. They have a surprising number of issues and are not worth the hassle. I used to really like it, but there are just soooo many issues with it. Either use plastic buckets or go all out for stainless steel.

Hey everyone. I have a fast ferment and it keeps leaking. Everything is wrapped in PTFE tape and done up tight. Has anyone else had this issue?

A related side: Fastferments are not worth the money. They have a surprising number of issues and are not worth the hassle. I used to really like it, but there are just soooo many issues with it. Either use plastic buckets or go all out for stainless steel.
I've had one and used it at least 25 times in over 18 months with absolutely no issues at all other getting the airlock to bubble which I now put down to poor yeast performance with certain beer kits,fwiw once you assemble the valve gear with a good wrapping of PTFE,DONT ever dismantle it again there's no need if you sanatiser properly,I haven't/ won't and have no issues

@Covrich yes, both the yeast collection ball and the stand.

@godsdog the only thing I remove is the yeast collection ball. I always make sure everything is done up tight before putting beer in there, but's started leaking. I took it apart to wrap all joints in a new layer of PTFE but still leaks. I'm thinking one of the screws is slightly misshapen. Other issues I've ha are the collection ball getting stuck on and not being able to get it off (this has happened whilst it's been leaking out of that joint).

@Covrich yes, both the yeast collection ball and the stand.

@godsdog the only thing I remove is the yeast collection ball. I always make sure everything is done up tight before putting beer in there, but's started leaking. I took it apart to wrap all joints in a new layer of PTFE but still leaks. I'm thinking one of the screws is slightly misshapen. Other issues I've ha are the collection ball getting stuck on and not being able to get it off (this has happened whilst it's been leaking out of that joint).
Did you have it mail ordered by the homebrew shop online Farnborough and when? If recent get in touch with them as they are very good on resolving issues with perhaps a new valve assembly and removing the collection bottle can be a pita,once I had to use a wrench with the large bottle nut wrapped in a microfibre cloth

Did you have it mail ordered by the homebrew shop online Farnborough and when? If recent get in touch with them as they are very good on resolving issues with perhaps a new valve assembly and removing the collection bottle can be a pita,once I had to use a wrench with the large bottle nut wrapped in a microfibre cloth

Unfortunately not. I got it from either GEB or the Homebrew Company over a year ago when I was in Ireland.

I might try to seal the bottom joint (above the yeast collection ball) and use it for long time storage. If that works I can also use it for bottling. Gonna have a proper look at it sometime soon.

Have you tried some of that silica gel type stuff on the thread?
Also have you washed the parts in "hot" water and maybe distorted something?

Latest posts

Back