Greg hughes ruby mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds nice, I'm about to have a go at the Sarah Hughes ruby mild from the Graham Wheeler book which is one that I've seen a lot of recommendations for but I've never tasted the real thing. So that's maybe something else you could consider.?
I'd be interested in hearing opinions from anyone who's tried either of these especially if they can compare the two.

Sarah Hughes is on my to-do list. A couple of my mates reckon it's one of the best beers out there, I tasted it once at a beer festival but wasn't that impressed, guess it could have been going off.

Here's a mild I made that turned out pretty good. It's an amalgamation of recipes from the GW book with the twist of using Bramling Cross, as my local brewery makes a mild with this hop and it's lovely.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (°P): 9.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.83 %
Colour (SRM): 31.0 (EBC): 61.1
Bitterness (IBU): 21.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 68
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (81.68%)
0.400 kg Crystal 60 standard (9.33%)
0.150 kg Black Malt (3.5%)
0.130 kg Black Roasted Barley (3.03%)
0.105 kg Chocolate (2.45%)

Hop Bill
----------------
32.0 g Bramling Cross Leaf (5.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
15.0 g Bramling Cross Leaf (5.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Bramling Cross Leaf (5.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.7 g/L)

Whats it like bottled compared to kegging it? its been fermenting for a week,split the batches up into two,one with notts ale yeast and the other with a liquid smack pack of Wyeast Ringwood.Its finished already,will leave another week,tried a sample from both,the dried yeast has a totally different taste,the Ringwood is sweeter.

I'm going to do a Sarah Hughes type mild on Saturday, but could do with some yeast advice. My LHBS only has dried - but a pretty decent range.

Recommendations for yeast - I used 04 for a recent stout and was pretty happy? What say you?

Thanks

MArtin

About to pick a Ruby Mild to do for my Father,has anyone done this GH one on page 165?

This one was one of my disasters. Got too hot during fermentation. Tasted ok at first but half way down every pint you started to get a deeply unpleasant fruity taste.
I think it would have been ok if not for the overheating though.

Back