DME use by date

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Was planning to make a yeast starter this evening and just seen that my unused and yet unopened bag of DME is out of date. June 17.

Can I use it?

I only bought it to use for yeast starters. I don't do starters that often as I can't always get liquid yeast, and even with liquid don't bother with brews less than 1060.

I only got a single use out of my last pack before it went out of date, and none from this one. I think I will stick to two packs of dry yeast going forward for 1060+ brews. But in meantime can I use this anyone?

If it was kept dry, then it should be OK. DME is just a mix of all kinds of sugars. When kept dry, it can probably be stored indefinitely.

cant answer your dme bb date for a starter but can say a single 10g packet of re-hydrated yeast will do 22 liters of wort with no troubles :thumb:

Og 1.108- 1.010 - Fg :twisted:

I've never needed 2 packets for a brew!

Was planning to make a yeast starter this evening and just seen that my unused and yet unopened bag of DME is out of date. June 17.

Can I use it?

I only bought it to use for yeast starters. I don't do starters that often as I can't always get liquid yeast, and even with liquid don't bother with brews less than 1060.

I only got a single use out of my last pack before it went out of date, and none from this one. I think I will stick to two packs of dry yeast going forward for 1060+ brews. But in meantime can I use this anyone?

It will be fine. If you are so young that have modern superstitions about use-by dates, just boil it through and cool it.

Same for an opened one. Unless it has clear signs of mouse droppings in it, it will be fine.

if its still dry and not a lump of toffee its good to go, dme is basically a sugar, sugars are preservatives as like salt sugars suck up any moisture and dry out any bugs in sufficient volume..

My son, aged 16, didn't want to eat some mushrooms because they were a few days past their date. Fed them to my darling wife twice and she is still alive.
I'd use the DME as long as it looked and smelled OK>

It looked and smelled fine, still powdery. Hadn't been opened so that would have helped.

Anyway it all went in, and time will tell!

Latest posts

Back