Late addition hop bitterness??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
I know this has probably been covered before but....

I’m planning an IPA brew later this week and my recipe I’ve been thinking up involves adding Nelson Sauvin hops at 10 mins and again at flameout.

According to the online calculator there won’t be any increase of ‘bitterness’ as a result of these additions. Given that NS is quite a high AA hop is this correct?

Just a little concerned as I’m going for high Hop flavour/aroma with not too high bitterness!

No it's not correct. There will definitely be a bitterness contribution from the 10 minute additions. A quick fiddle with Beersmith shows that 10g (for example) of 12% NS @10 mins will add 5.9 IBU.

Yes sorry, brewers friend roughly concurs with that. I meant the flameout addition and dry hop additions. Will they have any bittering effect at all??

Yes sorry, brewers friend roughly concurs with that. I meant the flameout addition and dry hop additions. Will they have any bittering effect at all??

You will get a little bitterness addition from your flameout hops, for however long your wort temp remains above 80°C. I think the calculators don't add any bitterness from flameout hops as it will be very small impact and they don't know how long it takes you to cool to 80°C with your setup.

I cool at flameout to just under 80°C (76 - 78 or thereabouts), then add the flameout hops and leave to steep for 20 - 30 minutes. This way you get good aroma benefit from the flameout addition, but little/no bitterness addition.

Dry hop adds punchy hoppiness in the nose to your brew, but no bitterness addition - having said that your nose and your mouth kind of work together so could be a big debate about whether hoppiness in the nose gives a sensation of bitterness addition !

Latest posts

Back