Holland and Barrett Malt Extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've heard about this before in america where they can get health food shop malt extract, but not home brew malt extract.

it's expensive, and it's not made from the same barley used for brewing, so inferior. but, it does work.

I don't use that one I use another food grade malt extract but only to add to a beer kit in place of some of the sugar. It's perfectly fine.

yep its pretty good in sensible amounts, been toying with some of the stuff from amazon- when it came in many tiny jars- saw somewhere that maybe 50% is fermentabe rest isnt- as such dont just use it straight as mentioned- also its a definite amber colour, was pretty good in my wheat though.

It would probably be fine in a kit but malt extract as a food stuff will not have been mashed with the consideration of brewing and probably hasn't been boiled to acheive a hot break.

I would have said thiswas chesper and the correct stuff for brewing. :thumb: Though H&B have got a by one get second half price at the moment.

:hmm: :hmm: Must stock up for my baking.

Also just noted on the ingredients that

Ingredients:

Malt Extract

Contains Wheat, Rye, Barley and Oat

So not 100% barley. So I doubt that with rye, oats and wheat that it will be very clear, I may be wrong :thumb:

I wonder would this do for making veda bread? I've been meaning to get some but would be too expensive for me to order it from a HB supplier just on the off chance I might be able to bake something that resembles veda. Hopefully the H&B in town stocks it!

I use it to bake my multi grain 'Granary loaf' I also used wheat malt in it as well very very tasty. Doing a mammoth bake this weekend so I may well post up a thread. :thumb: :thumb:

So how do you use malt extract in making bread? I use a bread machine, do I just chuck it in? How much, and in place of what - or in addition?

This what I make

The recipe

Sour Dough

Flour 611g
Rye Flour 206g
Wheat Malt 163g
water 300ml
milk 300ml
Starter 327g
Salt 16g
Butter 33g
malt extract 44g

Total 2000g

Dried Yeast Version

Flour 769
Rye Flour 205
Wheat MAltT 163
water 471
milk 300
Starter
Salt 16

Butter 33
Molasses 44

Total 1000g

I actually add other grains as well perhaps 30-40g each of sesame, oats, and sunflower seeds, what ever I have you may have to add more water as the grains take a lot of water but you will know best for your set up.

:thumb:

useless piece of inforation for you. the popularity of malt extract in the US came about because it was sold as a 'health product' from shops during the prohibition. Presumably domestic gardens in the US also saw a rise in the growing of a certain herbacious perenial vine too.

Latest posts

Back