Cheapest Plastic Demijohns and Airlocks+Bungs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont bother with an airlock.
A small freezer bag over the top and handle
of the Ashdown water PET secured with a
steralized rubber band that posties drop
everywhere - never had a problem yet.

Ask down your local chipshop if they buy in mayo or curry sauces, these come in sealable 5-25l buckets, a good cleaning and you have as many fermentation bins as you could ever need for free.

Or you could forget drilling grommets and airlocks if you loosen the cap a turn. Did about 10-15 batches in the asda 5l water bottles with a loose cap. 0 infection s.

Or you could forget drilling grommets and airlocks if you loosen the cap a turn. Did about 10-15 batches in the asda 5l water bottles with a loose cap. 0 infection s.

Be careful doing that, I've had a wine kit blow the top clean off. Luckily was only gas pressure so didn't decorate the walls and it was going like the clappers so didn't get infected.

I dont bother with an airlock.
A small freezer bag over the top and handle
of the Ashdown water PET secured with a
steralized rubber band that posties drop
everywhere - never had a problem yet.
Silly question but do you need to prick the bag with a pin?

Yeah works fine, especially if you rub a little petroleum jelly round the outside to seal it.
You can build a ring with blue tack and press that in like a fillet weld, too.

If you've got a step drill you can drill a 28mm hole and put the whole big bung into it. You don't even need to attach it to a drill, just twist it by hand.

Mine leak gas out of somewhere. airlocks don't bubble properly. doesn't really matter cos you can see the bubbles going up the sides as we know, and there's always 'Mr Hydrometer'. Still not such a satisfying 'bloop' noise every now an again like my glass ones do.

Back