plastic bottles v glass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholx

Reaction score
having recently made and bottled some ag stout, i used 40 pet bottles and finished off the spare beer with 5 newcastle brown bottles and capped them off

what ive noticed however as ive tried a few now is that the beer in the pet bottles seems to of conditioned and maybe carbonated alot better than the glass bottles.. iam pretty sure ive capped the glass bottles properly and they have carbonated well..

but the plastic bottles seem to be performing alot better and seem to be producing a better beer?

whats other folks thoughts on this or am i just dreaming this? i was saving my empty beer bottles to bottle my next brew but i am thinking should i just order another 40 pet bottles instead :confused:

not that iam botherd about the cost i just want the beer to be as good as it can be, maybe the glass bottles are just taking longer to mature?

I always use glass crown tops, don't normally have any problems. Or flip top bottles even better.:thumb:

I try to not use my pet bottles at all. I just don't like putting beer in plastic. It seems wrong.
I understand what people are saying though. With the swing top there's a nice pop when the bottle is opened, followed by a bit of CO2 being released.
I think the beers I have capped have come out OK, but you definitely don't get the satisfaction you get from opening a swing top. I'll check tonight though.

I noticed last night the beer i had capped in glass didn't make a sound when cracked open and the swing top was very loud. I suspect the cappers don't seal properly guess you get what you pay for. I know what you mean about storing beer in plastic. Only reason i do it is cos i dont have enough bottles. I have about 15 1.5l plastic swing top bottles which came with honey beer in them so makes bottling much easier.

does plastic let more heat through when carbing beer than glass?

I do think my plastic tester bottle carbs up quicker than a bottle.

you may well have a point re capping not being tight enough sometimes :wha:

does plastic let more heat through when carbing beer than glass?

this is what i was thinking aswell.. the beer iam talking about is very young.. its only been bottled about 3 weeks, but with it being my first brew i wanted to a try it

this is when i noticed that the beer in the plastic bottles seemed to be better than the few glass ones i did.. they had both carbonated but the beer in the plastic bottle seemed to contain the carbonation better in the beer and hold its head, if that makes sense

makes me wonder that if left longer the glass bottles will just catch up and there will be no difference in the end..

I think the advantages of good quality PET bottles with double layers, etc. overcome the disadvantages. They don't take oxygen, they are very light, they don't break if they fall, you don't run risks of overcarbing (so you can actually carb that 3.5 vol Belgian without worrying), they can be reused many times if soaked in cleaner, etc.

That said, I do a mix of cask / keg for parties, PET for home use and Champagne / Cava bottles to use as presents. They are the only glass bottles I use as I like the 75cl volume and you know the bottle will take a high pressure.

I think the advantages of good quality PET bottles with double layers, etc. overcome the disadvantages. They don't take oxygen, they are very light, they don't break if they fall, you don't run risks of overcarbing (so you can actually carb that 3.5 vol Belgian without worrying), they can be reused many times if soaked in cleaner, etc.

That said, I do a mix of cask / keg for parties, PET for home use and Champagne / Cava bottles to use as presents. They are the only glass bottles I use as I like the 75cl volume and you know the bottle will take a high pressure.

+1 to that. I put my brews in cornies, but I still fill a couple of oxbars because I like to see how the carbing is going.

Latest posts

Back