Spapro's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spapro

Reaction score
Brewed Sunday 30/04/17

Vermont Cascade Pale Ale

4.8kg Marris Otter
180g Crystal

60 mins, 15g Herkules for bittering
15mins, 25g Cascade
5 mins, 20g Cascade
0 mins, 30g Cascade (30 mins steep after chilling to 80°C)
Planning dry hop of 30g Cascade 4-5 days before bottling.

Re-used Vermont Yeast trub, made a yeast starter 48 hours before pitching.

40 IBU's
1048 expected SG
5% ABV ish
23 litre brew

Brew went well, 1 hour mash at 64-65°C followed by batch sparge.
Actual SG was 1050, got 23 litres in the FV.

Love a cascade pale ale so got high hopes for this one for the summer !

A few pics:

Vermont Cascade Pale 1.jpg

Vermont Cascade Pale 2.jpg

Vermont Cascade Pale 3.jpg

Vermont Cascade Pale 4.jpg

I'm watching this one with interest as I have a very similar beer lined up as the maiden brew on my Ace microbrewer - going to use either Magnum or Northern Brewer for bittering though.

Hi Spapro

This looks fantastic. have done very similar myself. Hope it comes out as well as mine did.:thumb:

I'm watching this one with interest as I have a very similar beer lined up as the maiden brew on my Ace microbrewer - going to use either Magnum or Northern Brewer for bittering though.

Bittering hop makes little difference on a Cascade. Just don't over bitter and it will be great.

The brew from post #1 of this thread Vermont Cascade Pale Ale has developed into a very nice pint.

The Vermont yeast for me adds a 'warm' almost spicy taste to the beer, (used it a few times). The only thing to be aware of is its low flocculating so for 'regular' brews does result in a hazy, non-clear pint.

Planning a Lagunitas IPA clone brewday tomorrow using a WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast so may post some pics of that over the weekend. Still get excited ahead of a brewday !

Here is a piccie of the Vermont Cascade Pale Ale:

DSC_0409.JPG

The brew from post #1 of this thread Vermont Cascade Pale Ale has developed into a very nice pint.

The Vermont yeast for me adds a 'warm' almost spicy taste to the beer, (used it a few times). The only thing to be aware of is its low flocculating so for 'regular' brews does result in a hazy, non-clear pint.

Planning a Lagunitas IPA clone brewday tomorrow using a WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast so may post some pics of that over the weekend. Still get excited ahead of a brewday !

Here is a piccie of the Vermont Cascade Pale Ale:

This post saved me from having to ask a question exactly about this topic! I've got some Vermont slurry saved and was thinking about whether I could use it in a 'normal' beer. That beer looks pretty clear to me so I reckon it would be fine for what I have planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Bri,

Lagunitas IPA clone brew day went well today, will post the recipe and pics from my pc in a day or so.

Lagunitas IPA Clone Brewday yesterday went well. Some pics below and the recipe - toned the grain bill down so I end up with circa 5% ABV (Instead of 6.9%):

4.0kg of Crisp Pale Malt (from Malmiller)
470g Crystal 30ebc
200g Crystal 150ebc (should have been 120ebc)
310g Wheat Malt
290g Munich Malt 20ebc

1 hour mash at 68°C

60 mins - 18g Hercules (original recipe suggested 4g Summit and 10g Horizon at 60 mins for bittering)
30 mins - 11g Centennial + 20g Willamette
Flameout - 35g Cascade, chilled to 80°C and left to steep for 30 mins.
Dry Hop for 4 days with 21g Cascade + 11g Centennial

Yeast - WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast, freshened up in a 1 litre starter for 48 hours prior to pitching.

23 litres brewlength
SG Target 1.048
FG Target 1.010
IBU's : 46.6
Colour: 15.1ebc (will likely be bit darker than Lagunitas IPA as Crystal in my store cupboard was little darker than orignal recipe I found)
ABV: 4.9%

All went well and hit SG of 1.050 for 23 litres (close enough for me).

Now the long wait begins before being able to pop some caps and enjoy !!!

LaguntitasIPA2.JPG

LaguntitasIPA0.jpg

LaguntitasIPA3.JPG

LaguntitasIPA4.JPG

LaguntitasIPA5.JPG

Lovely head on the Vermont Cascade. What's your priming level?

Thanks MyQul,

For US Pale ales I aim for 2.3 volumes of CO2, which broadly speaking is 130g of Tate and Lyle for batch priming 22litres of ale.

I drink them after chilling in the fridge so quite cold. Could be a bit lively if served much warmer.

Had a wonderful Brewday today - weather is brilliant and as a I brew half in and half out of my garage it makes a difference.

Decided to do 'Mongrel Pale Ale 2' after version 1, made out of left overs last November, turned out to be my best brew to date! Today used the same grain bill but the hop schedule a little different again using half bags of hops from the Freezer.

2.3kg Marris Otter (including 930g Crisp Pale Ale Malt as had a little leftover in a bag).
2.2kg Pilsner Malt
225g Munich Malt 5EBC
225 Crystal

60 mins - 17g Herkules 17.5% alpha
15 mins - 15g Cascade, 15g Centennial, 15g Simcoe
0 mins - 20g Cascade, 20g Centennial, 20g Simcoe (steeped for 30 mins after chilling to 75°C)
Dry Hop - 3g Cascade, 15g Centennial, 39g Simcoe (basically just to use up remaining hops in bags in freezer)

Expected OG was 1.047 - got 23litres in FV and achieved actual SG of 1.048 so happy with that.
49.5 IBU's
10.2 EBC

Sandiego Super Yeast (WLP090) 1st generation split overbuilt - made up in a 1.3litre starter 2 days before.

Mashed for 75 mins at 67°C

All went according to plan, just chilling in brefridge to get down from 24°C to 21°C before pitching yeast starter into wort.

May try my first bottle of Lagunitas IPA clone tonight to celebrate - although that really needs another couple of weeks conditioning.

Anyway, heres some pics:

Mongrel2-6.jpg

Mongrel2-5.jpg

Mongrel2-4.jpg

Mongrel2-3.jpg

Mongrel2-2.jpg

Mongrel2-1.jpg

Bottled the Mongrel Pale Ale on Sunday, used my new hop filter - picture below. Worked brilliantly and allows me just dump dry hops in he secondary and then syphon out without any issues. Really did work a treat.

Also, a pic below of my Lagunitas IPA clone (post #9 on this thread) - need to do a side-by-side tasting with a bottle of the real stuff but its certainly a lovely drop - lovely caramel sweet flavours (a result of the higher mash temp I think), then a lovely floral afternote from the hops.

Also did a brewday on Sunday, a Blackberry Oatmeal Stout - will post that recipe up and some pics later today.

filter.jpg

filter_1.jpg

lagunitas_ipa.jpg

The blackberry Stout sounds like it'd be a good fit for the November seasonal forum comp if you're interested? :thumb:

Sounds good, is the November Comp a particular style of beer or the regular monthly comp and you just thinking my Blackberry Stout will be ready by then ?

This it the detail on the Blackberry Oatmeal Stout I brewed on Sunday - planning on adding 2.2kg of blackberries in 4-5 days time.

Recipe largely based on Graham Wheelers Oatmeal Stout Recipe

4.2kg Marris Otter
250 rolled oats
200g Crystal - used pale 60l as thats what I had in
160g Chocolate Malt
70g Roasted Barley
2.2kg blackberries adding day 5 (1 campden tablet and 1tsp pectolase)

Hops:
60 mins - 19g Herkules (original recipe called for Challenger)
0 mins - 11g Challenger, 21g First Gold

Yeast:
WLP002 English Ale Yeast - 3rd generation from top cropping, made in 1.2l starter.
Colour: 43 EBC (very light for a stout)
32 IBU's bitterness
target SG: 1.047

Hit 1.046 starting gravity so about right.

1 hour mash at 67°C, 1 hour boil.

need to pick the 2.2 kg Blackberries and planning to crush and steep with Campden tablet and some pectolase then dump into FV once initial fermentation is slowing down, day 5 maybe.

Here are some pics:

BOS.jpg

BOS1.jpg

BOS2.jpg

BOS3.jpg

BOS6.jpg

On Friday (Day 6) gravity was down to 1.014 on the oatmeal stout so prepared and added the blackberries ....

Blackberries, 2.2kg Mashed with 1 litre boiling water plus campden tablet plus 1tsp pectolase and left for 24 hours (photo 1).

Brew before adding the blackberries (photo 2).

Added to the brew on Saturday and had a nice yeast/blackberry cake layer on top within a couple of hours (photo 3).

I have stirred the top layer back into the brew a few times and will leave alone now for maybe 4 days then syphon out into secondary.

Looks a bit manc now but hoping will be good in the end !

BOS_blackberries_crushed.jpg

BOS_before_blackberries_added.jpg

BOS_blackberries_added.jpg

Latest posts

Back