Wilko Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Surprised there isn't a review of this kit already, given how long it's been around? :hmm:So thought I'd do one.

This is the 1-can kit that they seem to sell now, not the old 2-can kit.

IMG_3609_zpsymiayjed.jpg

I thought it could be fairly bland on it's own, so decided to do a mini-mash and short hop boil (to add some extra bitterness) and a hop steep, rather than using spraymalt or sugar to make the kit up. Here's what I did, the grain quantities aren't huge so this could easily be done with a reasonable size stockpot and standard kitchen equipment. Cheaper than spraymalt too.

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Liquid Malt Extract - the Wilko Golden Ale 1-can kit (46.37%)
1.400 kg Maris Otter Malt (43.28%)
0.200 kg Wheat Malt (6.18%)
0.135 kg Caragold (4.17%)

Hop Bill
----------------
13.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
13.0 g Willamette Leaf (7.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
13.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.7 g/L)
13.0 g Willamette Leaf (7.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.7 g/L)

Mashed in about 8L of water at 66C followed by a quick dunk sparge, then boiled, with the 0min hops going in 10mins after turning off the heat, in for a further 30mins. I made it up to 18L giving an OG of 1046 with my 68% mash efficiency. Fermented with Safale S-04 rather than the kit yeast.

And here it is. Amazingly clear and carbonated after 6 days in the bottle, after a 15 day ferment followed by 2 days cooling prior to bottling. It's superb, although using grain undoubtably has something to do with that: I suppose it's 50% an AG brew. But this is a great way to supplement a kit, and by doing a small-volume mash and boil, and then adding the kit and topping up with cold water, you don't have the usual faff of having to spend time cooling the brew.

This is really good for a beer so young, and can only get better and better :thumb:

Wilko%20Golden%20Ale_zpsgloeuljp.jpg

As these are one can kits now, I too tweaked it big time, with different yeast and dry hopping. You can read the details here.

My review of the end product following this is, YUM! Fruity, tasty, downright lovely, and this is a still young beer!:thumb:

This is such a great kit to tweak, did it again as I didn't have time to do an AG brew before going on holiday and had some things to use up.

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Wilko Golden Ale 1-can kit
200g Caramalt steeped for 30mins
1kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer
340g jar of honey

Hop Bill
----------------
25g East Kent Goldings boiled for 15mins
25g Bramling Cross steeped for 30mins

18L brew OG 1048 / FG 1010 fermented with Wilko Gervin yeast. Came out great!

I've done the toucan of this before they made it a single can and it really needs the tweaks you gave it both last year and today, they both sound great. The one you brewed May 2017 was 6 days in the bottle when you posted, how was it when it had conditioned for a while?

It was good but could have done with some more hops. I'm still not sure about Willamette, it's used in some of my favourite beers but when I've used it I've always been a bit underwhelmed.

Latest posts

Back