Brewer's Friend Feedback

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewersFriend

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/

We've been releasing updates on a regular weekly basis now, just rolled out the following:

- Improved First Wort Hopping calculations on recipe builder.

- Added Bootleg Biology yeasts to the recipe builder and ingredient database.

- Fixed shopping list totaling so different units are combined into one total for the same ingredients.

- New interactive charts for IBU, SRM, OG/FG, and ABV based on latest BJCP style guidelines.

- Updated default utilization for whirlpool hop additions to 10%.

- New subscription billing options for Premium Membership.

- Ability to filter fermentables and yeast on recipe builder by what's in inventory.

We are always looking for feedback on what features we need to focus on, fix, add, etc.

Would really appreciate feedback on our platform on what you would like to see.

I really like Brewers Friend, I have trialed a few other products and BF just seemed like the cleanest and most intuitive interface.

I'm really glad you've fixed the FWH calculations, this was annoying and required a work around previously .

I had a look at the IBU and ABV charts today. They are an interesting little feature and made me look at a couple of new beer styles.

The biggest thing that would make me love Brewers Friend, rather than just really like it, would be if you could set the fermentables to display in ECB in the recipe builder.

I buy all my grains rated in ECB but have to work out which grain is equivalent in Lovibond in the recipe builder. You can see the final beer colour in ECB but building a recipe always requires some mental arithmetic and that's hard after a couple of beers!

Keep up the good work!

Oh, and please add yeast from Brew Labs in the UK.

Actually, while I think of it. Brew Labs sell their yeast on slants, so adding an option for building a starter from slants would be amazing. Even providing some information about how many yeast cells are on a typical slant would be enough to work from but this information seems really hard to come by (I've not found a reliable figure after quite a lot of searching).

I use Brewers Friend and find it smashing to use.
Not experienced enough yet to really be able to give remarks about how it can be improved, all been good so far.

Much prefer Brewersfriend to stupid overcomplicated BeerSmith.

I've used Brewers friend from day one. The first two were pre-bought AG brews from BD and I used BF to just record them.

Since then I have created all of my own recipes using the software and logged every brew.

My most recent created recipe was using percentages from Siren Craft for $10 Shake and it was invaluable to be able to play about with the amounts until I got it right.

Now I just need to practice using the brew day records!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I use Brewers Friend on my Iphone with the app. It does everything I need apart from calculate brewhouse efficiency. Does the app get updated? If so this would be a great addition.

Been playing around with the water calculations in Brewers friend a fair bit, but im still having trouble getting things to tie up, I'm kinda flicking from tab to tab a lot. is it possible to have the water calculations integrated into the recipe, so it uses water guidelines from the style selected, looks at your own water profile, and then calculates the difference, and maybe even suggest water treatments? Like the addition of CRS, and various salts?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I really like Brewers Friend, I have trialed a few other products and BF just seemed like the cleanest and most intuitive interface.

I'm really glad you've fixed the FWH calculations, this was annoying and required a work around previously .

I had a look at the IBU and ABV charts today. They are an interesting little feature and made me look at a couple of new beer styles.

The biggest thing that would make me love Brewers Friend, rather than just really like it, would be if you could set the fermentables to display in ECB in the recipe builder.

I buy all my grains rated in ECB but have to work out which grain is equivalent in Lovibond in the recipe builder. You can see the final beer colour in ECB but building a recipe always requires some mental arithmetic and that's hard after a couple of beers!

Keep up the good work!

Just read the above and have to agree, I'm used to making these changes using a conversion tool, but having the EBC numbers as well as lovibond would be much easier.

I'm a premium member too and find the site really works well for me so thanks and well done!

I have only just started playing around with the forum issue of brewers friend as I'm starting to try partial mash brews.
I have found it to be easy to use but was totally baffled as to why ibu ratings could vary quite a lot from ag recipes to partial mash recipes when malt extract was included in the fermentables section with the low boil volume. With forum help I now sort of understand this. ..maybe a note or prompt?
Thanks though it's a great tool for novices!

Cheers

Clint

I've used it for a while to play with recipes. However, I only registered last week so that I could actually save recipes. (Currently I just have a spreadsheet). Won't be long before I'm premium I think. Yet to use the brew features.

Very easy to use software though.

It would be good if cost was calculated for recipes.

I use the shopping list feature to add items to my inventory, the first time I saw there was the option to add prices against items I assumed it would then use that to calculate the cost of a brew, but it doesn't seem to do anything with prices beyond that page.

I am a paid subscriber and use it on each brew. Main benefit is being able to tweak hop additions to hit correct ibu.

However the ph predictor on water profile is often way out, so of no practical use.

Also it would be good if it had a standard profile for a Braumeister.

Finally it's annoying they never answer emails.

Back