biscuit malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
was considering adding this grain to a beer recipe instead of crystal. will i be missing out on not adding both or will i benefit from keeping it simple?
never used this specialty malt before, but as my local HBS was out of amber i thought id try this intead.

STOP!! Walk away from the specialty malts! :lol:

Bisuit isnt a replacement for crystal. Biscuit malt will add, like it sounds a biscuity flavour. Whereas crystal will add toffee and caramel flavours depending on the colour (Lovibond or EBC).

I add both to may standard bitter recipe. I add 5% biscuit to my irish base malt to try and get it a bit more marris otter-y, as MO is said to have a biscuity/toasty flavour. Plus 5% med crystal for that classic caramel flavour you get in a bitter

Biscuit is a good replacement for amber (and visa versa) though. I've yet to try amber but I think I might have to buy some as I dont think GEB stock biscuit any more

I've used it before, maybe a year ago. Can't remember a thing about it and haven't thought about buying more. Make of that what you will.

Back