Can opener - urgent!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer
Reaction score
This is not a joke, what one do you all use? My little magic opener isn’t man enough to open the kit cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had a few different openers over the years but i guess as the saying goes - the old ones are the best.

kitchen-craft-classic-butterfly-wing-style-can-opener-66990-p.jpg

Just for your info, got a nice stainless steel can opener from Sainsburys for £2.33 (on offer) and it cut through a coopers can last night like a hot knife through butter!

Funny this should come up as I was going shopping for a new one later! The domestic one we have at home is fine but I don't like it for brewing as it cuts through the side of the can not the top. I prefer it cutting the top as you can fold the lid out just enough so that any malt left on the lid drips back into the tin when you fill them with hot water to rinse. I then pour the hot rinsing water out over the lid into the FV to wash off any last residue. This technique doesn't work so well with the side opening one so I'm going to get a traditional one.

Also if I have one in the box of brewing gubbins out in the garage where I brew it's one less thing to remember to bring from indoors :D

Going to Dunelm Mill later to see what they've got.

I had a nightmare yesterday with my can opener whilst attempting to do a St Peters cream stout ( 2 cans). Was horrific.

I had a nightmare yesterday with my can opener whilst attempting to do a St Peters cream stout ( 2 cans). Was horrific.

That's weird - I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago! Was trying to open the two St Perter's Cream Stout cans with our opener and was getting nowhere. I already had the spraymalt in the FV and everything was sterilised and ready to go. Our nearest shops are 20 minutes away so I started knocking on neighbour's doors to borrow an opener. Took three goes before I found someone in, but I got an opener which saved the day. I've since bought a new one!

That's weird - I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago! Was trying to open the two St Perter's Cream Stout cans with our opener and was getting nowhere. I already had the spraymalt in the FV and everything was sterilised and ready to go. Our nearest shops are 20 minutes away so I started knocking on neighbour's doors to borrow an opener. Took three goes before I found someone in, but I got an opener which saved the day. I've since bought a new one!
Gonna have to get some sort of industrial one myself!. How did your kit go? And how much priming sugar are you using?

Back