Best yeasts to use multiple times

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DME is just for the yeast. With a starter your growing yeast not making beer so you dont need to worry about twang or anything. I've used holland & barrett malt extract, DME and wort ( I just simply portioned off 1/2 L of wort berfore I pitched yeast and froze it for use in the next brew's starter. Then boiled it for 5 mins, cooled then pitched the yeast into it.)They all work well.

One method of harvesting that I've started to use,which I found on jims forum, but doesnt seem to have a name is a bit like top cropping. After the krausen has grown (24-36 hours), I get a turkey baster and fill a small pop bottle (I've been usung 250ml because I make 10L batches so for a 23L you would use a 500ml bottle) from just below the krausen. I then let this ferment out. I then tighen the lid, label and put in the fridge. When I comes to using it, just pour off the beer which you can drink to make sure everything is fine. Then put the yeast into the starter wort.
I've read, that because this is similar to top cropping you can do this from subseqent brews almost infinantely

I like the sound of that method @myqul and just had a read about it on Jim's forum. Picked up some DME from wilcos on my way home so will build an overlarge starter if the yeast arrives on time or use this method, (maybe both as a spare wouldn't go amiss if I can get away with taking up the fridge space.)

Latest posts

Back