Bulldog Brewer - Mash Temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PST_1971

Reaction score
Hello all... just after some advice about mashing temps.

I'm using an insulated Bulldog Brewer v2 and a digital skewer type food thermometer.

I'm having problems stabilising my temps throughout the mash, I don't know whether its the boiler, thermometer or my technique that's the issue.

Heated up my mash water to 70c prior to adding the grains, as expected there was an initial dip before the temperature on the display came back up to the desired 67c. After 10 minutes I stirred the grains then gave the about 5 minutes to settle before measuring the grain temp with the thermometer, each time the temperatures were between 56c to 62c, usually hottest near the surface.

Is this variance usual or should I be raising the water temperature slightly higher to compensate?

Google for "eti thermapen manual pdf" https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...ook-2015.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2ENJ2LoJI0aekDBLBdJMXI and you should find a 20+ page pdf and circa pages 16-18 you will find detailed instructions for an easy home 2 point calibration test for your thermometer and the bulldogs temp sensor (i assume it has a temp sensor??)

Once you know both devices are accurate within reasonable margins, you can start resolving the issue, without testing using 2 devices you could end up chassing your tail..

your aim should be to maintain a 67C is temp with the bull dog 66.7 if pedantic is optimum for most well modified grains.

Generally with a single stage mash within a heated insulated kettle the recirculation is more to do with maintaining an even heat distribution, rinsing the sugars and clearing the liquor more than changing the temp, so perhaps try a strike of 71c next brew to hit the sweetspot out of the gate so to speak, and if not 72-3c the following brew perhaps?
Or you can always fine tune the post strike temp with the usual handy jug of cold water and off the boil kettle as you would in a standard tun.. temp is way more crucial than mash consistency especially when recirculated..

hope thats helpful, its my take at least..

Don't have that machine but have had the same experience. I now get up to temp [like Fil says 70C sounds a bit low] and stir it a bit and leave it for a few minutes to make sure that the element is cooled and the water temperature is consistent throughout before adding grain.

Good point.. there is a well documented behaviour of HLT's sat at temp under temperature control from all sorts of devices even sophisticated pids, and over not too long a period of time the liquor tends to form layers of different temperature warmer at the top, and significantly cooler at the base. and spot on target at the level of the sensor.. A good stir to homogenise the liquors temp before progressing based on temperature is a very wise precaution. some folk use pumps to keep the liquor moving during the heat upto strike to assure no problems of this nature, tho as long as you remember a good stir will do just as well ;)..

With the BB I mash in as I would with a BIAB so the temperature is even throughout at the start. As long as the recirculation is ok then this shouldn't change dramatically throughout the process. I've screwed up a thermopen by getting wort in the seal where the probe emerges from body of the thermometer, so it could be that. Another possibility is that the mash comes above the overflow pipe, in which case the recirculation will happen through this instead of through the mash, and then the warm wort from the element will only reach the top of the mash.

Thanks all,

I'll check the calibration of the pen tonight.

I was mashing a lot of grain (7kg)for the machine and although I had the bung in the water level was well above the overflow .....
Next time I'll use some silicone tube to ensure higher than the water level.

I didn't measure my FG at the time so I'll just have to hope the stirring and sparge did the trick.. Will have to wait and see in that one .

Hello all... just after some advice about mashing temps.

I'm using an insulated Bulldog Brewer v2 and a digital skewer type food thermometer.

I'm having problems stabilising my temps throughout the mash, I don't know whether its the boiler, thermometer or my technique that's the issue.

Heated up my mash water to 70c prior to adding the grains, as expected there was an initial dip before the temperature on the display came back up to the desired 67c. After 10 minutes I stirred the grains then gave the about 5 minutes to settle before measuring the grain temp with the thermometer, each time the temperatures were between 56c to 62c, usually hottest near the surface.

Is this variance usual or should I be raising the water temperature slightly higher to compensate?

My experience with BIAB type systems is the Ace Microbrewery, a very similar setup to the bull dog. I find that initial strike temperature is inaccurate unless I stir or recirculate during initial strike water. Giving a good stir initially should move water around enough to equalize and have you a good reading. I found that my temps were all over the place at the start and after I added the grains. I usually won't get the heater element going until it starts re circulation.

Getting a thermo pen to verify is always a good idea.

Got this for a tenner, might be worth a punt for a BIAB ?

IMG_1250.jpg

Back