Pimp my Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hambutty

Reaction score
Morning all, I'm going to be sticking a Wherry on this weekend and was hoping to get some advice on what to do with it. The pic below shows all the different bits I've got for tweaking which are
CML US Pale Ale yeast, CML Real Ale yeast, 100g EKG, 100g Challenger, 100g Citra, bag of malted barley (part of an old kit I never used).
Not really sure what to do with it but I managed to pick up a cheap cafetiere which I thought would come in handy with hop teas and steeping grain. I was thinking that the EKG and Challenger would go together well, what are your thoughts?

IMG_20171010_202018.jpg

You could split it into 2 10 litre of so batches both with a mini mash with the malt. Do each with a different yeast and different hop steep .
Or..do the whole kit but swap the yeast out depending on what style you want..definitely swap the yeast out!

You could split it into 2 10 litre of so batches both with a mini mash with the malt. Do each with a different yeast and different hop steep .
Or..do the whole kit but swap the yeast out depending on what style you want..definitely swap the yeast out!

+1..! I think Clint has got it spot on! Wherry is a great base kit to experiment with. Depends what style you prefer but, I would consider doing the EKG/Challenger thing you've mentioned with a good ale yeast and one can, maybe add some of that grain (steeped) you've got if you like a fuller bodied beer. And use the other can to try something else. (Different yeast, different hops combo).
Avoid using the kit yeast. It's not always reliable.

Good luck, keep us posted :thumb:

If you are going to split it into 2 brews of 10l, I would use the kit yeast for one of them. I have done this before with no problems. I think the small yeast packet is sufficient for a 10l brew but not if you make the whole kit up to 20/23l.

I think 2 brews with different hop combinations is the best way to go!

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll keep it to a two can brew as I've got a Young's American Pale Ale up next. I'm guessing that the EKG is more of an aroma hop that the Challenger so I guess I might do the hop tea with the Challenger and use the EKG to dry hop after fermentation.
Does anyone know what time and temperatures would be involved in steeping grain? How would that affect the brew?

Put the grain in a bag and place in water at 65°c for an hour then squeeze. ...then boil the remaining liquid for an hour to sterilise then add to fv.

Can you let us know exactly what the label on your bag of malt says?

It is not clear from what you say whether it needs mashing at 65C or just steeping.

The replies are, as usual on this forum, basically spot-on, but the sort of grain you have is useful information for giving you best advice on what to do with it.

+1 on what @Slid says.
Then, why not brew to 20+ litres using the CML Real Ale yeast (save the Wherry yeast for a 12 litre brew), then split it into two parts after 10 days, 25g EKG as a dry hop into one half, 25g Challenger into the other, 6 days with each. Good way to compare hops. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back