Lagering without a fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corners4219

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a Tettnang Tiger lager malt extract fermenting away at around 15-16 degrees. Reading previous threads I understand once fermentation is complete I put it in secondary and drop the temperature to 2 degrees for 2 weeks for lagering to take place. I don't have a fridge so was planning on putting plastic bottles in the water bath to bring the temperature down. Will this work or is there another method which will work better? Cheers

How are you controlling it at 15-16Ëšc?

Or is this just the ambient temp?

Hi, I currently have a Tettnang Tiger lager malt extract fermenting away at around 15-16 degrees. Reading previous threads I understand once fermentation is complete I put it in secondary and drop the temperature to 2 degrees for 2 weeks for lagering to take place. I don't have a fridge so was planning on putting plastic bottles in the water bath to bring the temperature down. Will this work or is there another method which will work better? Cheers

really cant see plastic bottles getting you that low to lager it.

you could try but dont see it getting there.

How about using 2l plastic bottles, fill with fermented wort and popping them in the fridge. I would never get away with that mind you as the wife would freak out!!:whistle:

It might work?

One of our forumites (can't remember who now) recommends, if you havent got a brew fridge, leaving the beer in the primary for an extra week or two and not bothering to lager. I've never yet tried it yet (and probably never will as I'm too impatient)

Thanks for the replies. The fv is sat in a water bath and I am adding frozen 2l bottles of water to control the temp in the water bath. The temp in the garage is about 15 degrees. I agree I will not get it down to 2 degrees. My plan is to surround the fv with frozen plastic bottles once fermentation is complete.

Thanks for the replies. The fv is sat in a water bath and I am adding frozen 2l bottles of water to control the temp in the water bath. The temp in the garage is about 15 degrees. I agree I will not get it down to 2 degrees. My plan is to surround the fv with frozen plastic bottles once fermentation is complete.
It’s always worth a try, hope for a cold spell otherwise you will have a lot of work to do keeping up with the plastic bottles with ice in them

I would leave in the FV until the temps get closer to zero. Leave it out over night covered in a black bag and the next day add finings. Leave out overnight again and bottle. Treat yourself a buy a fridge. Probably not even worth the hassle if you fermented so warm. Try a Kolsch yeast if you like that style. They ferment warmer.

Back