Is my yeast starter any good

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's now about 28 hours. I've followed advice about regular shakes but in hind site won't that have stopped the krausen forming and the yeast cake settling?

How do I know if it's any good? I am brewing now and will be ready to pitch in about 4 hours?

And advice apreciated

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

Did it foam at any point?

Normally I put my starter in the fridge the day before pitching. You won't really have time to do this, so I'd just pitch everything from your flask into the wort. Assuming you've used pale DME, the extra wort you're chucking into your brew won't change the flavour any.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Medium dme was all I had, it's for a pale ale. Not sure I ever had full krausen but all the shaking my have interfered with it maybe?

Medium DME will be fine.

After roughly 12hrs, my starters start to foam after each shake.

What yeast did you use?

It seems to have settled. Not sure what the dark brown bits are? Haven't noticed them in my starters before.

What's it smell like and what yeast did you use?

Ah, cool. I use light DME so probably why I haven't noticed that before.

Did it foam at any point?

Normally I put my starter in the fridge the day before pitching. You won't really have time to do this, so I'd just pitch everything from your flask into the wort. Assuming you've used pale DME, the extra wort you're chucking into your brew won't change the flavour any.

Yes, foamed well after each shake, then died down. Is that good?

Yeah. That's a good sign. It's what you should be seeing.

Sounds like you have it sussed.

Latest posts

Back