PET Bottles in the dishwasher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put one in once and it looked a different shape when it came out, not recommended.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If it helps, we only use PET bottles. My wife washes them by using oxy and shaking very vigorously (not needed to use one of our many bottle brushes yet. lol). She then gives them a good rinse before using our bottle washer with starsan to sanitise them. Works a treat.:thumb:

The heat will shrink them imo. Dishwashers reach near boiling temperatures, I also wouldn't imagine it would clean them properly even for normal bottles but it might be a decent way to sterilise them?

I tried to use my hand held steam cleaner on a 500ml one recently, just to see if it would work, it instantly shrunk to half it's size :doh:, my wife now uses it to take milk to night shift lol.

I'm with Ade, if you rinse and empty them straight after drinking [or in my case the next day more often] then nothing will stick and a couple of swirls round with hot water will completely clear any deposit. Then an inch of hot water and 1/8 teaspoon of no rinse, screw the cap on, shake vigorously, then lob into a box and forget until next needed. On bottling day all you have to do is empty the inch of water out and fill up, no bottling day cleaning or even rinsing to do.

Hi

Can anyone tell me if you can put the brown (Coopers?) PET bottles in the dishwasher?

thanks

I was doing something that made me look up how hot you can get PET. I think I could conclude that 60C would be alright although I did find a more specific reference that stated 56C. Apparently the PET doesn't melt, but some other mechanism causes it to distort.

Anyway, I stuck to 60C and it was quite alright. Some dishwashers have cycles below 60 (mine has a 50c cycle) which might be okay??? But you don't want the dishwasher detergent (detergent in general) anywhere near beer containers (kills the head, and detergent doesn't wash off as easily as you might think).

I'm with @nigelnorris

I have stopped even washing the bottles with fairy. When the beer is poured, the bottle gets a good rinse to get the yeast out then a dunk in hot water. Spray some starsan in, quick shake and in to a bag ready for bottling day.

I've had a few destroyed in the dishwasher before as well. The cooler cycle (50c maybe) put them slightly out of shape but the hot cycle ruined them.

A bottle rinser and tree are mandatory kit with me. I spent a year washing bottles with a brush in Oxy and whilst it did do a great job it was ten times the work. Now the bottle gets rinsed immediately, checked clean and then sprayed with sanitizer and stored or filled with water immediately and then rinsed the same way in the morning. On the day the bottles all get rinsed with sanitizer hung on the tree then rinsed with water and then primed. If you're just bottling as I am and they want to know what to get you for Chrimbo have them get you a bottle rinser, a bottling tree and one big boot so you can kick your own a**e that you didn't get them when you ordered your first FV.

I've not been doing this long, but I find a good shake with hot water as soon after drinking as possible gets rid of any solid deposits. I've done that a week after drinking and it worked fine. Then on bottling day just submerge in cleaner/steriliser for five mins and then give it another vigorous shake and empty, rinse, fill. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back