Country Sports

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehe no. i think my young adolecent hot headed, loud mouthed temperament might have got me in alot of trouble :P even now though, without the hot headedness and loudness, i doubt i'd ever get past the fitness test hehe

here's to you and serving our country well :drink:

I forgot to mention, i beat my best score last week

i've only been to the club 4 times now and decided i'd focus on the .22 as that's what i'll be wanting my license for.

considering it was zero'ed in by someone else (which makes your aim slightly off) and had to aim for the 7 to the right of the bullseye, i thought i did pretty good at 20 meters from the bench.. from the bench as in i was holding the rifle, with my elbows on the bench.... no contraptions to hold the gun cos that's cheatin' hehe

bestshot.jpg

edit as it turned out i was using the wrong target :lol: that ones for pistols at 10 yards... the long range target is twice the size of that one... i'd have been in the high 90's if someone had bloody told me!!!! hahaha

cheers! i was so chuffed i thought i'd better go home cos i aint beatin' that tonight :lol: only spent 15 mins at the club that evening!

Nice grouping . . . Damn sight better score/grouping than I ever managed to achieve on those targets . . . . . but then I would have been using a target pistol at 10m ;)

Committed game and vermin shooter, here only the live stuff is worth shooting :D

subsub said:
Committed game and vermin shooter, here only the live stuff is worth shooting :D

i'm hoping to be in your shoes once i get my FAC ;) just need to find the "goldmine" field full of bunnies :pray:

Wez said:
I love a bit of 'private' target practice

shall i get the door for you Wez? :lol:

Interesting. Welcome to the firearms world BS. :cool:
Over here you walk into the police station. Say 'i would like a gun license please' they give you a little booklet explaining about weapon safety and calibre's etc. You then sit a test with another 30 people and pay NZ$100. Done. You are then allowed ANY calibre semi, shotgun etc that you want. Pistols are a different matter. So much so that no-one bothers here except the competition shooters. Nothing fully auto is allowed and mags are restricted to 10 rounds max.

I use a .22 10 shot Ruger for possums in the bush, a rimfire silenced 10 shot Ruger .22 for the 'garden', i have a few shotguns-varying actions, .308 and 270 win for deer. All my hunting rifles have Leopold scopes. I buy rounds in 'bricks'-500 a brick. I have 9 guns in total and about 5,000 rounds in my gun cabinet. :cool:
I hunt goats, pigs, possums, geese, pheasant, duck, deer and other vermin ie aus magpies. 60-70% of our meat comes from hunting. I shoot what i need and no more. I butcher the stags in situ and carry them out of the bush on my back, same with pigs. With goats i remove the haunches and just take them. I shoot duck, pheasant and geese with my mate Chris and his gun dogs. Pretty much the same as every other kiwi does. It's part of life here really. As opposed to uk where you need to be wealthy to shoot deer and gamebirds. Here your forced to hunt if your poor. I'm not poor but i love hunting. There's nothing like being choppered into some ranges knowing your the only humans there for 10 days. Shoot a buck first day, wrap it and hang it and eat venison steaks or stew for a week, hunting everyday for that elusive Chamois or sika. Roaring them in, ****, deer hunting is the dogs dangly's. :cool:

You will not meet a kiwi bloke who doesn't own a gun. You may meet some that don't hunt as such. But they will have a gun to control possum and goats. In fact the civilians in NZ have a way bigger armoury than the forces do.

The wages here may be **** but at least 80% of the land is for the common man. If you don't hunt or fish then you need to be wealthy.

I've never once shot at a target in a range. I imagine it'd be quite fun though. Not sure i'd get as good grouping as you have achieved BS. But then i don't need to, i need to get my first shot in as a kill shot. Grouping after that is fairly irrelevant. :lol:

what's immigration rules like out there? :lol: that's my all time dream to supply the majority of my food from my own farms and rifle.

it's not as hard as you'd think getting a license over here from what i hear, if you've a valid reason for wanting one, eg target and vermin shooting. but that's crazy easy in your area!

i like the rugers, they have three at the club, but i really dont get on with the bolt action as i have to take my eye from the scope/irons to reload, they also have cartridge ejection issues.

i REALLY want either a winchester (sadly now not made) or a Marlin 39A as i much prefer the underlever action for a quick reload, especially in the field if i ever make a bad shot and need to quickly put it out of pain.

BrewStew said:
what's immigration rules like out there?

They've just made them even tougher . . . . Reduced the maximum age to 35 from what I heard P*ssed Off as I'm now 10 years over the limit :evil:

Although there is no real chance of going out with the problems my son has, and the support he needs at school

There are ways around the age issue. And your boy wouldn't be considered judgement against you really. The immigration website is not fair. It put's most people off. I guess that's what they want. It all depends on your attitude and your projected 'value' to the country. I know of many 45+ who have emmigrated here in the last year or so. Having a degree and some financial security weigh's the scales heavily. As does being English or having a reasonable time in your workplace. They are crying out for experienced management people of middle age as there are none here. But the salaries are ****, the cost of living is high-if you are a consumer type. If you just want a top quality way of life and to live in a virtually crime free, friendly society then consuming wouldn't be your thing anyway and you'd probably find some doors open where you thought they would be closed. ;)

If anyone is seriously interested we can help. We had to jump through hoops to get in. But only in the initial part of application. ;) We do know how to do it now and we are both 'members' ahem :whistle: of an immigration forum. :thumb:

Back