Homebrews and Hangovers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
Something i've noticed about my homebrew beer is i've never had a hangover from them, even when i've mixed them to buggery, starting with stout, going to pale ale, dark ale, a kit cider, and back again in many volumes i've never EVER had a hangover from it!

yet if i get ****** up on stuff from the pub, i'm a little worse for wear in the morning... even with micro brew stuff (i had a whopping hangover at the last beer fest i attended)

my homebrew wine kits do however give me more of a sore head than bought wine :wha:

why is that?

chemicals?
yeast?
state of mind?
gas? (i especially get a hangover from anything with nitrogen/cream flow as well)

have you guys noticed this?

After a night on the homebrew i typically walk up feeling tired and dehydrated (not surprising) but after a few pints of water and a few cat naps im fine and dandy, can even go out for a run in the early afternoon.

When i've been on commercial beer, wine or any homebrew with a far whack of sugar in the recipe i get a shocking bad hangover, feel like im having an out of body experience and simple exertions like walking up the stairs leave me out of puff.

I find that i rarely get a hangover with my homebrew. Except my historic IPA. That gives me quite a hangover for some reason. Perhaps it's the barrowload of hops you pour in to the kettle. But i'd drink it all the time regardless of the after effects-it's sublime. :cool:

I reckon it possibly has something to do with the amount drank and the speed it's drank at. Drinking beer at home means I drink fewer pints slower where as if you're in town your drinking speed will be faster. I always seem to be drinking up before the next round arrives or supping quicker as there are beers on I want to try etc. More beer disappears quicker when you're out in town

I only get hangovers from homebrew when I've added extra sugar to the boil or I've drunk way too much :sick:

I have to agree there is a difference in the after effects.
I drink at the same speed and quantity at home as I do in the pub.
A good drink for me is around the 8 pint mark and if I head fro double figures In a pub I want to die for 2 days. I had 8 pints of a hobgoblin clone at5 4.5%last night and Im up this morning with no great after effect
A pub hangover at 8 pintys of guiness is dreadfull.
The same quantity of stronger ale at home leaves me no more than slightly jaded.

Before the smoking ban the pub hangovers were much worse which is probably because Nicotine mixed with alcohol is highly poisonous. Im convinced that had a part to play

Back