Slip Rollers - make a tube?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have some perforated SS that I would like rolled into a 35 cm diameter tube to support a Biab bag.

I cant do a good job myself I don't mind paying cash or beer so I tried the local sheet metal workers well let's say it would be cheaper to buy a nuclear sub! so I hoping somebody local can roll it for me.

I'm 1/2 way between Liverpool and Manchester with Wigan to the north and Warrington to the south.

If you can help please let me know.

Thanks..........aamcle

I'm a great believer in DIY so my first thought is ...

"If it's already perforated can you bend it yourself and then
use some stainless steel seizing wire to "sew" it in place?"​

This is the kind of wire I used to stop shackle-pins coming loose on the boat. If you can actually bend the sheet of stainless to shape then passing the wire through the perforations should "sew" it in place permanently.

http://www.suncorstainless.com/seizing-wire-0

Hope this helps. :thumb:

I'm planning to use SS binding wire, I have found it very difficult to roll a cylinder neatly -

The inner is 1" SS mesh and even with my best efforts is just "sorta round".

aamcle

I didn't say it would be easy but I'm sure that you will enjoy the challenge. :thumb: :thumb:

I am living proof that "determination" does not equate to "skill". :nono: :nono:

Here's a photograph that proves my point ... :whistle: :whistle:

... it may look rough, but it does actually work! :thumb: :thumb:

Coil Cooler.jpg

I make most of my kit and like you I've made up a chiller but a CFC using 10 m of 10 mm tubing inside a hosepipe and I soldered wire around the outside of the 10mm copper to break up the flow in the outer tube. if I take it slowly I can go to pitching temperature in one pass.

I could roll the perf SS but by the time I made up a strong enough form the right size (35 cm dia) it would be a big job and probably still a second rate one at that. I'll admit to being a bit fed up with my clumsy work.

This is my current rig based on an old Buffalo boiler.

ATB. aamcle

IMG_20161128_124903.jpg

That looks very smart it's much neater than a rolled cooler, what's the length and how long does it take to chill a batch?

Atb. aamcle

That looks very smart it's much neater than a rolled cooler, what's the length and how long does it take to chill a batch?

Atb. aamcle

Sorry but I was so taken with it that I didn't time it accurately ...

... but I think it was about 15 minutes from boiling to 20 degrees for a 23 litre batch.

All the stuff came from Screwfix so the one I made cost just over a tenner for these elbows ...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-end-feed-elbows-15mm-x-15mm-20-pack/91735

... and this length of pipe ...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wednesbury-copper-pipe-15mm-x-3m/98683

Everything else (solder, flux, blow lamp and cutter) I had in house.

The design "works" as I have plenty of room in the centre to help the cooling by getting a good "swirl" going with a plastic paddle; but the cold water of winter definitely assisted the cooling.

However, as I only used 15 of the 20 elbows I bought, I will try to find another four lengths of 15mm pipe to add an extra loop before the summer arrives. :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back