Anti-Foam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Essential stuff if you make starters in a flask! After fighting to keep foam down with every starter I've made, which usually led to regularly stopping the wort boiling, I got some anti foam and added a drop to the starter I made last night. No sign of any foam so I could quite happily leave it to boil away for 10 minutes. :thumb:

I have 5 gallon of the stuff for my Hot Tub.
If anyone has a MSDS for the brewing variety, i'd be interested to compare the two.
I'm almost certain that the Hot Tub stuff is food grade.

Where did you get it from Mick? I see the Brulosophy guys talking about Fermcap S all the time but never seen it over here.

Brupaks make it. They sell it at The Homebrew Shop and other palces.

It's magic stuff. It is great for making starters and also for controlling foam in the boil. I like it because it means I can boil about 1CM away from the rim of the kettle so I can get more wort into the fermentor. I like to maximise my output for any brewday as I don't get to brew as often as I'd like.

Where did you get it from Mick? I see the Brulosophy guys talking about Fermcap S all the time but never seen it over here.

Most homebrew shops sell it, you might find it under distilling supplies, it works by preventing the surface tension on a liquid forming as it approaches a boil thereby stopping boil over , it would be interesting to hear though if it has any effect on head formation and retention.

So how much would you add to a two litre starter in a flask?

you only need a drop, or a couple of skooshes from a trigger spray. I dilute 4 grams antifoam in 100ml sterilised water in a small hand trigger spray. Useful to kill foam after transferring from boil kettle to fermenter. Doesn't seem to have negative impact on head.

Brupaks Antifoam 100ml

An aid to reduce foaming during boiling or transfer of wort.

To control foaming in the boiling and fermentation stages of brewing.

A highly effective silicone based antifoam emulsion developed specifically for the brewing industry.

Dosage will vary substantially due to the great variety of conditions in which it may be used. A good starting point would be to dilute 2ml of Antifoam with 50ml of water and apply to the surface of the boiling or fermenting wort by means of a spray until the desired amount of foam reduction is achieved.

https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/brupaks-antifoam-100ml.html

antifoam_1.jpg

Dosage will vary substantially due to the great variety of conditions in which it may be used. A good starting point would be to dilute 2ml of Antifoam with 50ml of water and apply to the surface of the boiling or fermenting wort by means of a spray until the desired amount of foam reduction is achieved.

Those are the instructions that were on the bottle but I just ignored them and chucked a tiny drop in and that eliminated all foam. Given the tiny amount used I'll be amazed if there is any detrimental impact when the starter goes in to a 5g batch.

the stuff sold in brewshops contains the same active ingredient as found in a US brand Gripe water which is substantially cheaper. the source isnt something i can link to in here, but if you search forums relating to folk who who dont want their post fermentation liquors to foam up after they have been sealed up in a vessel before heating it and collecting the condensate you should find all the info you need

Latest posts

Back