Bottle storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale

Reaction score
I've been having a look around for crates to store my full bottles in. At the moment I tend to use plastic bottles as they are more robust than glass and once the beer is in the glass beer is beer. The problem I find is the bottles always fall over in the boxes I keep them in stirring up the sediment, so I'm looking for crates or boxes with a divider for the bottles to keep them upright once i have started drinking from that box.

My options are:
1. Buy one, but they dont seem to be cheap
2. Buy a divider, but I have only found smaller boxes, ideally I want to store 20 bottles per box.
3. Buy a box/crate and make my own divider. This is the way I will probably go. Get a cheap storage box and cut up a cardboard box to make dividers.
4. Build a crate. This may happen at some point, a nice wooden homemade crate for 20 bottles of beer.

How do people on here store bottles and are there any other optioons I should consider. I havent included asking pubs if they have any as I dont know if they throw them out, send them back to their supplier of what. Anyone know if they are likely to let me have some?

And how do you store your bottles?

making your own dividers is probably easiest. I collect 6 bottle wine boxes....piles of them in sainsburys and tend to use them...6 bottles of beer fit fine..some have dividers. Not the most efficient way but easy to shift around. I also built a box with removable front from insulating foam sheet under my shed workbench....and also store some on shelves.

Resize of P1030998.JPG

Resize of P1030997.JPG

Hi!
I use these: http://www.wilko.com/kids-storage/fold-flat-crate-blue/invt/0423201
They comfortably hold 24 bottles, fit nicely into my brew fridge for conditioning and fold flat for easy storage when empty. It would take no time at all to make dividers out of cardboard.
One other point - the cardboard boxes in which pint beer glasses are delivered have dividers inside and are a perfect fit for beer bottles. Get friendly with a local publican :mrgreen:

Tap your milkman up for some crates...I've got around 8 or 10 they hold 20 bottles. The bottles are taller than the crate rim but can still be stacked with care....they're not full long!

Cheers

Clint

Hi!
I use these: http://www.wilko.com/kids-storage/fold-flat-crate-blue/invt/0423201
They comfortably hold 24 bottles, fit nicely into my brew fridge for conditioning and fold flat for easy storage when empty. It would take no time at all to make dividers out of cardboard.
One other point - the cardboard boxes in which pint beer glasses are delivered have dividers inside and are a perfect fit for beer bottles. Get friendly with a local publican :mrgreen:

I was thinking possibly something like that and as there are plenty of holes in the sides just thread through string as a divider

35L Really Useful boxes. The thing I like about them is that they hold 21/22 bottles nicely, and the reinforced bottom means they last a lot longer than the budget boxes.

Currently a tenner each in Argos (29.99 for 3), you might be able to get some in the sales - that's where I got mine a few years back, a fiver each I think.

stash_small_zps1b312e96.jpg

Ikea lack tables hold about a full brew each and I use baskets/cheap tubs to transport back and forth from the shed.

20160929_222126.jpg

I store my bottles on shelves but have a couple of those folding crates for moving loads of beer or carbing inside. They are great and can hold about 25 500ml bottles, I suppose a bit of thin ply could be used to divide bottles

Back