brewfridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
other options include reptile enclosure heat pads and trace wires, some have tried ceramic heat bulbs that screw into edison screw light bulb fittings, but if mounted to close to a fridges thin inner shell wall can heat upto the point which melts the shell allowing ingress of moisture and microlife YUK!

ye olde worlde brew belts can even be used (shudder)

Lots of options, pick whichever suits you and your build, but imho the good ol tube heaters that never get too hot to touch are the #1 choice..

if considering using an incandescent light bulb, perhaps consider painting it matt black or sitting it inside a clay flowerpot to isolate the light.

also dont forget a fan to move the air about, it will be fairly inefficient to rely on convection currents alone to move the heat n cold from their respective radiators to the brew when needed, and everyone should be able to find an old desktop pc case with a fan inside and an old redundant dc phone charger or similar dc power brick 12v or less.

I use a reptile heat pad in winter. Just stuck it to the inside of the door with no fan. That is next.
Works magic. 14watt heater easily maintains 17-18 degrees inside fridge on -1 degree Celsius nights.

I use a fan heater. Been to B&q today and special offer was a pod heater. Said £5 scanned it and it came in at £4 nice and small. Perfect for a brewing fridge

I use a reptile heat pad in winter. Just stuck it to the inside of the door with no fan. That is next.
Works magic. 14watt heater easily maintains 17-18 degrees inside fridge on -1 degree Celsius nights.

Awesome that's what I am going to do. You get a lot more space without having to use a shelf. A 14watt mat keeps mine at 18c in the garage.

Hi!
I started with a domestic fan heater set at its lowest setting; it seemed to make the fridge cycle on and off a lot, so I changed to a light bulb in a biscuit tin but it turned out to be too bulky for my setup. I bit the bullet and bought a tubular heater and everything's fine now.
I've recently fastened the tubular heater to the fridge door; it fits just underneath the bottom FV shelf. I don't think it creates any more space, but it looks neater.

Latest posts

Back