Saving lambic yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you use plastic or glass fv's and how long till you rack into the secondary?
Thinking I could do both the lambic and flanders soon and use the yeast from the first to brew the second straight after.
I'm quite happy to forget about a couple of fv's.

Glass carboys would be better but I have been using plastic FVs or the first year then racking to glass demijohns for further aging.

The problem with plastic is that it allows oxygen in which leads to acetic acid, which you don't want in a lambic, but a little in a flanders red is desirable. Good luck with the brew, I'd be interested in seeing the recipe actually.

Its the Flanders red ale in the Greg Hughes book.
23L
Vienna 3.2k
pale 1.6k
wheat malt .250
special b .300
caramunich 3 .300

ESK 36g ' 70 min
Roselare blend(I'm using wlp655 as my LHS only stock white labs)
Primary 22c for 4 weeks then rack into secondary.
Ready to drink in one year.

Please feel free to comment or add suggestions on the recipe and method.
I'm picking up a 23 glass carboy tomorrow from reading home brew. will my brew be to large for this??

Yes, not sure what style though??

The recipe in BCS adds 28g of medium toast french oak cubes at the start of fermentation and leaves them in for the full duration until bottling. They just get soaked in boiling water for 15 mins to sanitise before adding to the FV.

Ill have start and looking and see whats available. The good lady bought me a bottle of modus operandi by the wild beer co home form town yesterday. Crazy good beer that's been aged in red wine barrels and bourbon then blended. I don't know weather it possible to get anywhere close to creating that flavour at home??

All pitched up now with the wlp655 and dregs from modus operandi and inchtegems grand cru Flemish red ale.
Ended up with 24L due to having to let the wort down to get the 1055 og.
Its all wrapped up in a blanket next to the fire place with the remote thermostat sat on top.
Ill order some French oak chips for the secondary then put my patient hat on:cool:

Back