Have I 'ruined' the beer using this yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteplus1

Regular.
Reaction score
Just brewed Strange Steve's NEIPA which was my best brew day 10 brews in. No issues , almost on the nose figures wise. I have tweaked the recipe slightly only in terms of one hop variety but most importantly the yeast I used. Dry hops gone in and krausen dropped. Its about there now fermentation wise but the final gravity is lower than should be. I didn't use the yeast he suggested as limited resources at my lhbs so used safale.05. I have no experience using different yeasts yet so my question is have I 'ruined' the beer by using this yeast and making it too strong? Should have had a fg of about 1010, giving a 6% abv. Now it's down to 1006 from my sg of 1059 I'm looking at almost 7%. I know this isn't a massive difference but didn't want it this strong really. If I put in a different yeast like safale 04 into brewers friend, it reads a lot better. fg of 1015 and just under 6 %. Would that have been a better option to use?

Mashed at 68 degrees
Fermented at 19 degrees.

It'll be delicious I'm sure. US-05 is really neutral. At 7% it'll just make you fall over a wee bit quicker. 1.006 is pretty low finish for mashing at 60 egress though. Had a sample?

You certainly haven't 'ruined' the beer it is just a bit stronger than anticipated.
Us05 does go lower than SO4 and will give a cleaner taste so you will have changed the 'taste' of the beer. Only time will tell if this is for the better. I usually find that S04 will go to 1012-1010 so it might not be such a huge difference.

Us-05 is very fond of its sugars, but having mashed at 68°c I'm surprised it went that low.

As others have said it is very neutral so the hops will be the star.

As for the strength if you haven't bottled it yet dig out any and all of your 330ml or if you are kegging remember to serve in half pints.

I've had a trial jar's worth (of course). Hop flavours are incredible. Just didn't want it too boozy and taste the booze that much. I'm no stranger to strong beers mind! Got a box of Imperial beer club's ales currently that I'm gettng through slowly.
Lots to learn still, especially with yeast!

TA :)

Latest posts

Back