Hop combo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi just looking a good hop combination for an ipa I want to make have plenty hops here if someone could come up with good suggestion and hop addition schedule.. hops I have are....cascade,ekg,galaxy,magnum,saaz,admiral,target,crystal,tettanger,j lime,northern brewer,pilgrim and Syrian wolf . Made a single hop galaxy before and j lime and citra one too..any help much appreciated thanks
. just to add most are 100g couple 50g

An ipa.....
5kg Maris otter
400g crystal malt
250g carapils
Using American ale yeast just want to know good hop combination and the hop schedule please

For an American IPA bitter with magnum and cascade for flavour/aroma for an English IPA bitter with Target or northern brewer (30g ish depending on the alpha and how bitter you want it) and loads of EKG for flavour/aroma (30g at 15, 5 and 0 min). Is a rough idea of what would work well.

I had the Saltaire double IPA last night, hopped with simcoe and galaxy and that was delicious...

For an American IPA bitter with magnum and cascade for flavour/aroma for an English IPA bitter with Target or northern brewer (30g ish depending on the alpha and how bitter you want it) and loads of EKG for flavour/aroma (30g at 15, 5 and 0 min). Is a rough idea of what would work well.

Styrian wolf 15g 60min

Styrian wolf 10g 15min
Cascade 10g 15min
J lime 10g 15 min

Cascade 10g 5min
J lime 10g 5min
Crystal 10g 5min

Cascade 10g 0min
J lime 10g 0min
Crystal 10g 0min

Ibu about 45

How does this sound would ya dry hop and with what and how much

Bitter - Magnum
Late hops - Cascade and Galaxy
Dry hop - Galaxy

Or you could try to mix it up. Victory, Kernel and Cloudwater amongst others have made some lovely IPAs that have successfully blended noble and newer varieties of hops.

J Lime are a new one on me, are they an experimental variety?

Yeah is an experimental hop lime and fruity flavours.. went with that hop schedule I did up there so hopefully it comes out well any suggestions on dry hopping it

When combining hops you need to consider how you are going to utilise them too. Most flavour descriptions don't describe how those flavour and aroma notes are best achieved.

Different addition times can yield significantly different flavours, some of which may not be desireable.

Take Topaz for example:

Used early in the boil it contributes earthy notes. When used later on, at flameout or as a whirlpool hop, it yields tropical fruit flavours.

Then when used as a dry hop it can lend a resinous or grassy flavour.

So take some time to research your hops and figure out what flavours they add and when. Then you can pair it so that the addition of another hop will complement the flavours that you expect to get from your given additions.

Styrian wolf 15g 60min

Styrian wolf 10g 15min
Cascade 10g 15min
J lime 10g 15 min

Cascade 10g 5min
J lime 10g 5min
Crystal 10g 5min

Cascade 10g 0min
J lime 10g 0min
Crystal 10g 0min

Ibu about 45

How does this sound would ya dry hop and with what and how much

The only hop I have used there is cascade but I recon it will make a decent IPA. You could dry hop with 10-30g each of all the aroma hops

Latest posts

Back