Novatwist or reuse original cap?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemorton

Reaction score
After corking my first batch of home brew wine, I realised that I need to move over to screw tops for ease.
I can get as many screw top bottles as I need from my local, and obviously the tops will only have been used once, so would I be better off just using the caps with came with the bottles, or investing in some Novatwists? My worry about the Novatwists is if they dont fit the bottles I get.

It has been said many times that the metal caps will wear eventually but i cannot remember anyone ever testing this theory, if you can get an endless supply of metal caps i wouldn't bother with the novatwist caps.

It has been said many times that the metal caps will wear eventually but i cannot remember anyone ever testing this theory, if you can get an endless supply of metal caps i wouldn't bother with the novatwist caps.

Cheers Chippy, so the general consensus is if they have only been used once before, they should be fine for one more use at least?

Cheers Chippy, so the general consensus is if they have only been used once before, they should be fine for one more use at least?

This is the problem as far as i know no one has ever reused them until they are no longer airtight then reported back in the forum, they could last 10 or 20 times, i guess you could be the forum Guinea pig see how many times you use them before they are no longer airtight.

i'm 3 or 4 uses into some of mine, they seem okay but hard to tell.

I've removed the collar bit around the neck as I intend to buy novatwist eventually,but I don't know if I'll be able to tell they are past their best?

I could store the next batch on a wine rack, so on their side to see if they leak? Saying that, my last 2 WOW's have gone straight back in the Plastic grape bottles they came from!" Much easier

Latest posts

Back