Wine from grapes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidat19

Reaction score
I have been given 750 grams of red grapes, grown by a friend in Ponterwydd (west Wales). I should be able to get about the same again during the next couple of weeks as they ripen.
I have put them to freeze in the meantime.
Recipes seem to want a kilo per litre, and I'm not likely to get 5 litres.
Couple of questions:-
How much concentrate would I need to top up say the juice from two kilos of grapes to a sensibly strong (13%?) wine.
Is there an easy way to crush, or is it paddle in a bucket time.
I have grape jelly made from last years crop, could I add that.
Ok, that's at least 4 questions.

First off you know that 750g is no where near enough, with that amount crush with clean hands or wear sterile gloves. I'd say no to freezing, but if you've no choice then ok I suppose. The grape jelly you can use if same grape, how much grape was in it and how much sugar per jar? If you have too much sugar will never complete to dry 0.990. If you have a hydrometer you can check and calculate the sugar amounts in your must. Concentrate will be of different grapes than what you have most probably have and will change flavour, 220g bottle from wilko would be fine or two if you want a darker red, but you have to keep an eye on the Original gravity you can use this is work out abv http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

Well, that's a start...I know its not enough, but its one of those things you have to do!

There are recipes for small amounts of grapes in combination with other ingredients, such as elderberries, blackberries and sloes which are ripe at this time.

Well, it brewed down to around 0.99, and I bottled it. One dj was a good deep red, the other a little paler and thinner. Tried the thinner one, not offensive and reasonably drinkable. Told the friend to stick the good ones in a cupboard for a year.

I got given some russet apples too, borrowed a press and got about 2 or 3 litres of juice. Added some ginger (cos I can) and brewed that out. Drank about a litre one night.
Long time since I have been that ill. Sat with my head down the loo for about two hours, starkers. Felt bad for a couple of days.

No more cider for me!

Latest posts

Back