Camden Hells Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigwsmall

Reaction score
So far I've brewed 3 ales quite successfully but I'd really like to brew a good Lager.

I really like Camden Hells Lager which has details on the can that they use a Pilsner malt, Bavarian Lager yeast and both Perle and Hallertauer hops.
My question therefore is: would I simply be able to buy a pilsner brew kit, yeast and hops in pellet form and create something similar to Camden Hells?
I've made a beer fridge so I'm able to keep temperatures constant etc. Just want to know if it would work!

Thanks in advance for any help!

“Weyermann pilsner malt, 4kg/8lbs 13oz (75%)
Munich malt, 1.07kg/2lbs 5.75oz (20%)
Carapils, 270g/9.5oz (5%)
MASH
For single-stage, mash in at 66C/150F for 70 mins. For multi-rest, mash in at 50C/122F, raise to 62C/143F and hold for 60 mins, heat to 72C/161F and hold for 10 minutes. Mash out at 78C/172F
HOPS
Magnum 12.7% AA, 17g/0.6oz, 60 mins (to 25 IBU)
Simcoe 13.9% AA, 9g/0.3oz, 10 mins
Chinook 13.9% AA, 9g/0.3oz, 10 mins
Mosaic 11.2% AA, 11g/0.4oz, 10 mins
Simcoe 13.9% AA, 7g/0.2oz, 0 mins
Chinook 13.9% AA, 17g/0.6oz, 0 mins
Mosaic, 11.2% AA, 9g/0.3oz, 0 mins
Chinook, Simcoe, Mosaic, 80g/2.8oz of each, dry hop
YEAST
Fermentis Saflager W-34/70
FERMENT
10-12C/50-54F until halfway through fermentation, then 14C/57F till the end. When active fermentation is complete leave at 14C/57F for another 72 hours to reduce the diacetyl. After the diacetyl rest is complete, rack on to the dry hops in a separate vessel. Beef up with up to another 2g per litre (0.3oz per gallon) of more of the dry hops if you want to boost[…]”

Firstly thank you for the lengthy reply, it's interesting to see the lengths that are required to brew from scratch.
Unfortunately I suspect due to my naivety as a brewing beginner, I've not given enough detail.
What I was referring to was starting with a Pilsner concentrated brew kit and adding the mentioned hops and yeast. Can a decent end product be created by using a concentrated wort brew kit?
I'd love to be able to start from scratch but don't have sufficient knowledge or equipment for this.
Thanks again for your help 👍

You should be able to create a decent impression of Camden Hells. You would need a pilsner or lager malt extract to keep the pale colour and appropriate malt flavour. Camden say that it is a hybrid between a Helles and Pilsner so I would go for slightly higher IBUs than a Helles, maybe 30-35IBU. You could also use some hops later in the boil for flavour and aroma but keep them fairly restrained.

To emphasis the malty character of a Helles you could add some calcium chloride to your brewing water to balance the water toward a chloride heavy profile. This will accentuate the malt sweetness.

Make sure you use an appropriate yeast and keep your fermentation temperature at lager temperatures.

Good luck

If you mean buying a pre-hopped lager can kit (which I suspect is what you mean) then adding more hops and changing the yeast will make it taste a little more like what you want but the likelihood is you'll be disappointed. You may get closer if you use pilsner malt extract and hop it yourself, but you may well need more kit.

I'll have a look into the basic pilsner kit and then take it from there.
The only way I'll find out is to try, really appreciate all the advice.
Hopefully won't be to long until I can work my way up to starting from scratch!

Back