Sediment problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
Sorry back again I need some more advice. I have just finished 22 litres of red wine I brewed in a plastic brewing bucket from ballyhoo. Once it finished I racked it into a second bucket leaving hopefully the sediment behind, I then racket again. Then I topped it up with water due to sentiment that was left behind. Then I bottled it, to my shock and horror once bottled there was still sediment. I use one of those siphons with the sediment traps. I must admit I do lean the bucket over to get the last bit of wine Is this where I am going wrong? should I leave trying to get the last of wine and lose about a couple of bottles of wine. but have clear wine.Is there some sort trap to better stop the sediment . I did make some white wine in a demijohn and that is clear as a bell because I could see the sediment at the bottom so knew how far away to keep the pump from the bottom of the jar. Would it be better to use a 23 Litre Carboy. Thanks for any advice given P.S. I am having the same problem with my beer brewing as well.

You need to get into the habit of leaving a litre or two behind, there will also be quite a bit of gunk in suspension as well if it's just finished fermenting, finings can help speed up the process of clearing the stuff in suspension though if you are prepared to wait then time and gravity will also work. Racking wine will not help if you don't allow the stuff in suspension to settle out fully which is likely to take at least 3 months if finings aren't used in the case of wine, beer will settle out a lot faster.

Thank You so get used to leaving a few litres behind then so I will not get the sediment in the final brew I thought that what those little traps do either on your tap do in your brewing bucket do or on your end of your pipe do when siphoning your brew from your bucket or demijohn. Looks like them traps which ment to stop the sedement not much use then. Or is there a better trap I can use?With the kits I buy the come with the fnings but would it be a idea to add extra finnings As you can see I am very new to this brewing and maybe i am doing things the wrong way:doh: If you do not mind me asking when making large loads of wine is it better using a brewing bucket or use a carboy?

I've used buckets, and glass and plastic DJs for wines one isn't really noticeably better than the others. As for sediment afaik it is impossible to get ALL of the yeast out of your brew unless you have access to a super fine filter like commercial brewers use. Also if you managed to remove all the yeast from suspension in your beers you would have to force carbonate it or it would be flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice everybody will take advice . I know one beer I did which I bottled had not sediment at all

Latest posts

Back