Cooling off beer quickly

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeonaboat

Reaction score
This is my first post! I'm still quite a new brewer.

I've got an extract kit (crafty brews) to make an IPA. I've not tried this method before so I'm looking forward to it. However, the instructions are a little vague.

I'm wondering that when it comes to rapidly cooling off the beer, instead of sitting it in a sink full of ice for half an hour, can I transfer it to my fermenter and then start adding the cold top up water (which will cool it down also)?

You have about 6 litres of wort that you top up with water to about 20 litres.

Thanks in advance!

The beauty with Extract brewing is that you boil a reduced-volume and top it up as described. So yes, transfer it to your fermenter (maybe leave it 15-30mins or so to cool a little) and top up with water (which tends to be very cold this time of year), this should cool it enough ready to pitch the yeast. If not, just add some ice if too hot, of boiled water from the kettle if too cold. Start measuring the temp at around 17L so you have some headroom to adjust the temp it it's too high or low.

Cooling is only really an issue for AG brews where you boil the full volume.

I use ice cubes to cool my wort, I have a freezer that I use for my fishing bait and my brewing.
got 4 milk cartons that I use as ice blocks and I bought some of those disposable ice cube bags, which are good but it does add more cost

Also I use 3 2 litre bottles that I use to top up to make the final volume, I sanitise them and use a small piece of campden tab in them (don't know if it helps) but it I have never had a problem with them.
I fill them up and leave them till I need them for my next brew

That's really helpful thank you both!

I have 2x1KG bags of malt extract and 1x500g bag of spraymalt light. Reading through my instructions it doesn't exactly say when to add these two bags?

After steeping the grain you add the first 1KG extract bag then boil for 70 minutes, then it says "add the balance of the malt extract" which I assume is the other bag, but what about the 500g bag of spraymalt light? There's no mention of that?

If you happen to use a no rinse santiser you can freeze some 500ml bottles, sanise them then chuck them into the hot wort. Taking them out and replacing them as they thaw out. Although I no-chill I often want to pitch cool (below the ambient temp) and do this

That's really helpful thank you both!

I have 2x1KG bags of malt extract and 1x500g bag of spraymalt light. Reading through my instructions it doesn't exactly say when to add these two bags?

After steeping the grain you add the first 1KG extract bag then boil for 70 minutes, then it says "add the balance of the malt extract" which I assume is the other bag, but what about the 500g bag of spraymalt light? There's no mention of that?
I have added some at the start, and some at the end of the boil,say 10 minutes from the end and some at the start and some once wort into fermentor.Never had problems either way.
I would add the kilo before it starts boiling,easier to mix it up add a kilo at 10 minutes from the end and add the 500 grams to the FV and stir it in well.Others will have other ways:)

With regards to cooling,just using the sink and ice blocks works for me.Change the water to keep it nice and cold:thumb:.Just keep the lid on the pot.

Everybody finds their own wee trick from chillers,sinktop with ice,sinktop with running water and a cloth to control the output.Others use ice in the fermenter, around the fermenter or just chill overnight and still get the same results be it sooner or later.Each time you brew try something different and you'll find what works best for yourself.I've tried all except the chiller which I was going to make but don't see the point as I'm quite willing to use any of the others above depending on constraints.Enjoy👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Latest posts

Back