Apple juice - sell by / use by?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just occured to me that the use by date for the aj is far shorter than for the cartons of rgj and wgj that I buy. It follows that I often seem to have half a carton left after doing whatever I need to do. Bad planning? Maybe, but......... as usual with these things it tends to suggest that once opened it should go in the fridge and be used within 3 days. I often find myself throwing half cartons away for this reason.

Other than drinking it, do you guys use it in wine to top up well after these dates or (thinking as I type ) is freezing any good?

I always make my wine with equal amounts of each juice and in pairs, I top up with half a litre of apple juice in each DJ then water to the neck so I never have half empty cartons.

If the container has a screw cap, you can expel air, which helps it keep longer. Long life juice lasts longer than the stuff sold chilled, which is usually only pasteurised. After a while, juice exposed to air will start to ferment, even in a fridge.

Latest posts

Back