Know A Way To Strain With Tap?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepp

Regular.
Reaction score
I made a Ghost Ship clone which I moved to a bottling bucket today.
Unfortunately the hop pellets have made quite a mess of the brew, so quite a lot went with the brew into the bottling bucket.
I was wondering if anybody had found a way of fitting a filter to the the back of a standard fermenting bucket tap?
I don't want any hops in my bottles.
If this was to happen, do the hops settle in the bottles during conditioning?

They'll settle but not as hard as the other trub.
There's a couple ways to do this. Easy is to put the pellets into a fine mesh bag. In Japan they'll sell this sink nets for the drain. They come in all sizes. This helps a lot with the material. More expensive but really nice is a hop spider. You can find them on eBay.
The last which I do as well as the hop spider is whirlpool. You can do it with a large spoon. Just give your wort a real strong fast swirl then let it settle for 10 minutes or so. All the debris will go to the center.

They'll settle but not as hard as the other trub.
There's a couple ways to do this. Easy is to put the pellets into a fine mesh bag. In Japan they'll sell this sink nets for the drain. They come in all sizes. This helps a lot with the material. More expensive but really nice is a hop spider. You can find them on eBay.
The last which I do as well as the hop spider is whirlpool. You can do it with a large spoon. Just give your wort a real strong fast swirl then let it settle for 10 minutes or so. All the debris will go to the center.

I bought an extra large tea infuser thing from eBay for when I'm dry hopping my next brew.
Like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Bal...ae4a428da358f64ed8dbd3&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&

I have a set like those as well. You really want about 4 of them. For all the boil additions.

Crash cooling the beer after fermentation also helps drop the pellet debris.A couple of days at as cold as you can get it will give you clear beer.

Use a syphoning hose with a muslin cloth/hop bag at the fermenter side when bottling.This will reduce the amount of hop debris transferring.

Sent from my ALE-L21
I do much the same.Some voil on the end of the syphon,elastic band to hold it in place(both boiled before hand),rack it off and leave for 4 days or so,usually get a nice bright beer:thumb:

Latest posts

Back