McEwans Champion Ale No1,Clone???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr BR

Regular.
Reaction score
looking for a clone to this great tasting ale AG BIAB would be the best but anything will be much appreciated,have tried looking in the recipes section and google but keep getting the yank websites would like a UK clone :cheers:

AG Version.

McEwan's No.1 Champion Ale

14.5 lb. Golden Promise 2-row
11 oz. Torrified Wheat
19 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
4 oz. British Roasted Barley
2 oz. Peated Malt

8 oz. Invert Sugar ( or 226 grams of Golden Syrup )
1/3 oz. Burton Water Salts

1.5 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5.4% AA (6.8 HBU) (bittering)

1/4 oz Styrian Goldings (flavor)
1/4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Batch Size: 6 gallons
OG: 1.079
SRM: 21
IBU: 25

Extract Version.

McEwan's No.1 Champion Ale
modified from Beer Captured

11 oz. Torrified Wheat
9 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
2 oz. British Roasted Barley
1 oz. Peated Malt

6.00 lb. Muntons Light DME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Light LME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Amber LME
8 oz. Invert Sugar ( or 226 grams of Golden Syrup )
1/3 oz. Burton Water Salts

1.75 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5.4% AA (6.8 HBU) - 60 min.

1/4 oz Fuggles - 15 min.
1/4 oz Hallertau - 15 min.
1 tsp. Irish Moss

White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

5.5 gallons.
OG: 1.079
IBU: 25

Kind regards Buster. let us all know how you get on, as its my favourite bottled beer. :thumb:

mmm :drink: :drink: yes ill ad that to my ag brew list have you made or any body you know done the ag brew yet :D :drink:

Whilst we are on Scottish Heavies I thought I would add this

Traquair House Clone

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 38 lbs. 5.4 oz 17390 grams 99%
Roasted Barley 1350 EBC 0 lbs. 6.2 oz 175 grams 1%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Golding Whole 5.7 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 2.8 oz 80 grams 50%
Golding Whole 5.7 % 35 mins 0 lbs. 2.8 oz 80 grams 50%

Final Volume: 55 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.017
Alcohol Content: 7.2% ABV
Total Liquor: 81.1 Litres
Mash Liquor: 43.9 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 30 EBU
Colour: 44 EBC

I took it from an american site but reduced the abv back to what the original is and used EKG which the original uses. You also have to take a gallon of the first runnings and boil it down and caramalise it to 1 pint and add back to the boil. Now I have got my Lidl jam boiler I can do this.

graysalchemy said:
Whilst we are on Scottish Heavies I thought I would add this

Traquair House Clone
That was where I started brewing in the late 70's :thumb: I used to help with the mash in at 10am then be back later for sparging then after lunch emptying the mt by shovel & wheel barrow.
Then back in after 9pm to clean the copper after the brew ended (HOT copper & scrubbing brush wearing wellies!) and the open cooling tank had to be washed down as well. (Used a floor brush & hose for that though)
Then after fermetation was complete we pumped it into 50gal casks and everybody got a taste of the raw beer. Then it was wellies time again and clean out the FV with a scrubbing brush & hose.
Lots of elbow grease involved in that brewery in the 70-80's :shock:

Still I loved the specials the Laird used to brew. :drink:
I keep thinking about brewing a clone but it has been so long since I tasted it, and I don't really like high gravity brews anymore - not a teenager anymore :whistle:

I had heard you worked there :thumb: :thumb:

I have never tried it but i can imagine what it would be like. I like the idea of the simple ingrediants but I imagine a very complex flavour profile . I use to like Mcewans 90/ in the early 90's when I lived on the west coast.

:thumb:

I have got a couple of bottles of No. 1 to run do some research on tonight and no doubt tests its potential as falling over water :lol:

I forgot to mention, my pay for cleaning the copper etc at the time was an outstanding £1/hr :nono:

Back ot.
My prefered tipple in the late 80's when down sarth, was Younger's #3 However never seen a recepie for it anywhere.
Anybody know of one?

could somebody help me out here as there is no times against when to add the hops/boil time on the AG recipe for this clone i will be doing this BIAB :cheers:

i know its a post back from the dead but just got round to brewing this lasr week all went well,fermenting away nicely,will let you know how it tastes when its bottled and conditioned :cheers:

Mr BR said:
i know its a post back from the dead but just got round to brewing this lasr week all went well,fermenting away nicely,will let you know how it tastes when its bottled and conditioned :cheers:
Well done, I,m very interested how this turned out, any updates ?????

no updates as yet, its bottled and carbonated needs another few weeks to condition before sampling one bottle but when i intend to drink it at new year it will have been conditioning for 10 weeks so should taste better,will let you know how it tastes :thumb:

Mr BR said:
no updates as yet, its bottled and carbonated needs another few weeks to condition before sampling one bottle but when i intend to drink it at new year it will have been conditioning for 10 weeks so should taste better,will let you know how it tastes :thumb:
Looking forward to this,hopefully some pictures of the brew as well. :cheers:

sorry its taken as long to get back to yous about this ale been very busy ,it turned out better than expected tasted the same as the shop bought stuff and a would defo make it again very good recipe ,sorry no photos did take some but have misplaced the camera :doh:

Mr BR said:
sorry its taken as long to get back to yous about this ale been very busy ,it turned out better than expected tasted the same as the shop bought stuff and a would defo make it again very good recipe ,sorry no photos did take some but have misplaced the camera :doh:
Many thanks for getting back with an update. Looks like it all turned out good :thumb: ..... shame about the pics. Well done that man :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back