Imperial war Museum London

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thinking of taking my dad to the IWM for fathers day this year. I know the one in London is closed until July but willing to wait for it to open if its going to be better than the one in Manchester.

May also tie it in with a visit to Duxford.

Anyone been to either? Or what about IWM Manchester? Any tip?

Tis brilliant the one in London, shame it's closed. I'm not sure when it re-opens ......... and it's only 5 mins from me in the Elephant :?

Must admit, I didn't even know about the Manchester one. Great idea for fathers day though.

Didnt know about the manchester one either! Should pop up as its only 20 mins away. Duxford is definatly worth a visit. They now have a vehicle section and between that, the US hanger and the areas where you can see aircraft being restored its definatly worth a visit!!!

I haven't been to IWM for many years but Duxford is very good if your interest is mostly aircraft. The USAF museum at Duxford is very well presented and the aircrew memorial wall very moving. If you are in the area for a couple of days then going to Old Warden, Bedfordshire, is well worth while for the old aircraft collection.

Somewhat closer to you is Cosford, and best of all is free. I would definitely visit again if I was in the area.

Dave

The Manchester one is OK perhaps a bit modern and the displays are meant to be thought provoking. Though it is a large building it isn't a huge display, though the US Navy Harrier suspended from the ceiling is quite impressive. Evidently it was placed inside during the initial phase of construction and if the pentagon ever wanted it back they would have to remove an exterior wall to get it out. :lol: :lol:

There is also a bit of the twin towers which is quite poignant.

If you are into art the Lowry is only across the other side of the docks, well worth a visit just to see 'Going to the Match'. Also the Museum of Science and industry is very large with an excellent collection of aircraft rail and steam engines.

You could also take in some of Manchesters finest Alehouses as well. :thumb:

I led a school trip to the IWM and went round the Churchill War Rooms last November and it was BLOODY GREAT! Definitely want to go again without the kids so I can really enjoy it without having to keep an eagle eye on the loons. Far too much to take in and really really interesting place!

Mmm even more undecided now as I know he would love the museum of science and industry. Was originally just going to go for the day but the more I think about it the more I think it'll be good to stay over where ever we go.

I'm sure he went to cosford a few years back and enjoyed it.

The London IWM opens in July, ready for the 100 year anniversary of ww1

Done the London Imperial War Meuseum a couple of time, well worth the trip and quite thought provoking.

Depending on where you are the Bovington Tank Meuseum is also worth the trip, everything from a British MkIIa to the King Tiger, with a side order of Mother tanks and Renaults thrown in to cover WWI.

Not been to the one on Manchester so dunno.

Don't forget, HMS Belfast is part of the London Imperial War Meuseum and worth trudging over to the Thames for a wander around that bit of History.

Ditto for HMS Belfast from me too, and Churchill War Rooms, and also Tower of London.
There's also the London Fire Brigade museum, it's on Southwark Bridge Rd, SE1, and I'm not sure when it's open, but well worth it if you can get there when it is - it's by booked appointment only, so you have to contact them first. here

Thanks for all the replies, looks like 1 day has turned into 2 days now!

Anyone know if entry into the IWM is free, just like it is in Manchester or what's the cost? Just trying to do costings

ryanshelton said:
Thanks for all the replies, looks like 1 day has turned into 2 days now!

Anyone know if entry into the IWM is free, just like it is in Manchester or what's the cost? Just trying to do costings

I seem to remember that they had a 'guilt jar' for donations, but that it was technivally free to get in. I'd check but I seem to think that any donation goes to a pretty good cause.

I was disappointed by the IWM in Manchester. I don't think I'll bother going again, unless there's an exhibition on that I fancy seeing.

I'm looking forward to seeing the refurbished London IWM. HMS Belfast is definitely worth seeing and Duxford is amazing.

Problem I've got is getting to/from duxford. I don't particularly want to drive as it means driving around 4 hours and then staying out of London itself to get the train/tube in the morning to go to IWM etc. Then getting the train/tube back to the car to drive to duxford then to drive the 3/4 hours home.

Other option is the train but then its a train from Bridlington(where my dad lives) to London and then the problem is from London to duxford then duxford to Bridlington.

I really don't know what to do for the best and I can only afford to take 2 days off work to do it all in!

There is plenty in London to do without Duxford. The war museum, Belfast and war room mentioned. The science museum is worth a day on it's own.

I definitely recommend RAF Cosford, it has loads of exhibits and its free. The airshow is on 8th June and is really good. It should only take about an hour to get to Cosford from yours :thumb:

You can easily fill two days in London, don't forget the meuseum at Greenwhich, with some of the earliest accurat clocks in, the grenwhich mean time line and other such good stuff, sort of ties into HMS Belfast as most the desire for accurate time keeping was to enable accurate navigation on the high seas :)

TRXnMe said:
You can easily fill two days in London

It's typical, I live in London and almost never take advantage of the brilliant things to offer (many of them free)

john_s said:
I was disappointed by the IWM in Manchester. I don't think I'll bother going again, unless there's an exhibition on that I fancy seeing.

I can agree with this, I couldn't get interested in anything and i couldn't get the kids to really look at anything either... MOSI on the other hand just has them asking question after question even after going maybe 20 times in the last five years.

Back