Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of wish I could of got those mini kegs. They sound convenient. But, I've had to kind of reinvent kegging here for the homebrewer. It's easy to get ball lock connectors but impossible to get corny kegs. So a company in China makes ball lock fittings for sanke kegs. And since it's impossible to throw out those kegs here in Japan, the beer companies don't need money for the kegs. Just buy the beer and a full commercial keg is yours. But what's cool is the size. They have 7, 9 and 10 liters as well as 20 liter full size. I know have 3 10 liter sanke, 1 9 liter corny and a bunch of stainless 5 l growlers with corny fittings. I think I'll just keep adding those 10 liter sanke. They're built well and stack great.
Right now I've got those 4 big ones filled and 3 more fermenters going. But that leaves 9 FV empty!!

In some ways I regret getting the Party Star Tap now, but there was so much choice at the time it all got a little confusing. But in retrospect for me the better option is the Profi tap as it's a 3 in one solution. Tap, alternative CO2 connection and Air pump. The beer protector is a similar thing by the looks of things except the tap has been removed. The other option I looked at was the Keg Connector http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/keg-connector-1495-p.asp which is similar to the Profi tap with remote CO2 source capability but also remote tap. More for use in a Kegerator I think. Having both lets me have two different kegs on the go at the same time so no loss.

Christmas present offer from SWIMBO, so looking into Kegs. What seemed straightforward has now got me confused. I would like to by a 5 litre keg with a gravity fed tap at the bottom. This leads me to the Easy Keg. Then I want to protect the beer with CO2as I drink it from the grqvity fed tap. This should suit my bitters and IPAs and not use up much CO2(?). But if I was to put a Pilsner in it may be this would be better dispensed from a Party Star tap (?). So ... if I get

A) Easykeg (with the gravity tap)
B) Party Star Delux Tap

Will they fit together? Will the Party Star Tap allow me to cover the beer with CO2 but use the gravity tap? If this set up will not do what I'm looking for, are there any other 5 litre Keg options I should look ent!at. Thanks in advance. I know Bibles have been written about 5 litre kegs in other posts, but I only managed to get through the New Testament.

Christmas present offer from SWIMBO, so looking into Kegs. What seemed straightforward has now got me confused. I would like to by a 5 litre keg with a gravity fed tap at the bottom. This leads me to the Easy Keg. Then I want to protect the beer with CO2as I drink it from the grqvity fed tap. This should suit my bitters and IPAs and not use up much CO2(?). But if I was to put a Pilsner in it may be this would be better dispensed from a Party Star tap (?). So ... if I get

B) Party Star Delux Tap

Will they fit together? Will the Party Star Tap allow me to cover the beer with CO2 but use the gravity tap? If this set up will not do what I'm looking for, are there any other 5 litre Keg options I should look ent!at. Thanks in advance. I know Bibles have been written about 5 litre kegs in other posts, but I only managed to get through the New Testament.

Will they fit together? Yes
Will the Party Star Tap allow me to cover the beer with CO2 but use the gravity tap? Yes

You can get a set of 3 kegs plus the party star tap, and everything else you need to get going e.g. http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/party-star-deluxe-mini-keg-system-1007-p.asp

B) Party Star Delux Tap

You could use one of these for adding fizz, not sure if you could get enough pressure for a pils but when I use a carbonation cap and a 2 litre plastic bottle I get enough fizz with just 10 psi and not all that much shaking.

I don't see why you would use the gravity tap if you had the party star installed? I tried a pilsner in a keg, couldn't get the carb level high enough.

I agree with both of these points. The Partystar tap pours a lovely pint!

I use my kegs for cask and Belgian style beers only. Anything else (wheat beers, pseudo lagers etc, although I have put my steam beer in one as the minikeg makes it a different beer) and the carbonation isn't right so I bottle them.

I've got a bit of rust on one of my kegs, presumably from the time I used a screwdriver to get the bung out! Is that likely to cause any problems?

Dont think so. I seem to get small amounts of rust around the top bung hole too, on a couple of y kegs. I fill the kegs up to about a couple of cm from the top so the beer doesnt come in contact with any rust. I've not had any noticable problems so far

Dont think so. I seem to get small amounts of rust around the top bung hole too, on a couple of y kegs. I fill the kegs up to about a couple of cm from the top so the beer doesnt come in contact with any rust. I've not had any noticable problems so far

You wanna watch out with a rusty bung hole. [emoji51][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of these Gold Gob kegs, am I right that these aren't the reusable bungs? Do these work as replacements?
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/easy-keg-bung.html

HobGob Gold Keg top bung.jpg

From what I have experienced ... :thumb:

... the bungs aren't re-usable and they are an absolute bugger to get out without damaging the MK. :doh:

My advice (when the MK is empty of course) is to lift the black tab, grab it with a big pair of pliers and pull straight upwards. Hopefully, this removes the top half of the vent, doesn't damage the MK and leaves you with a bottom half of the vent still in the bung; so push the bottom half of the vent into the MK.

Now comes the hard bit!

I use pair of slim nosed pliers to "crimp" the edges of the bung so that I can get hold of it with a much bigger pair of pliers.

I then lever the bung out with the bigger pair of pliers; whilst attempting to NOT deform the hole that is holding the bung.

The bit of the bung that has been pushed inside can be washed out when washing the inside of the MK. It makes it a lot easier if there is plenty of water inside and the bottom tap is open.

Best of luck! :thumb: :thumb:

Sorry, didn't notice the link.

They should fit okay 'cos as far as I know all MK's are the same size ...

... but, they are just as bad to get out as the original.

Rather than use a vent I use one of these ...

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/minikeg-bung.html

... and a Flexi-Tap like this ...

http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item3110.htm

The photo shows the Flexi-Tap with a small pump fitted to it. Mine actually came with a CO2 capsule system but I found it too expensive so I modified a bike pump to keep the pressure on the MK when natural carbonation has finished.

It works perfectly, but I make sure that I finish the MK within a week of starting ... :thumb: :thumb:

... which is not difficult! :whistle: :whistle:

I just removed one. First I pulled out the bit in the middle that turns, then punched the insert below it into the keg with a hammer and screwdriver. Next I took a sharp knife underneath the red ring and between the keg and cut through most of it, but left enough so that it didn't all drop into the keg. It was then possible to pull the remaining part onto it's side, then I cut a slice out of the side so that I could compress it and make the diameter smaller than the hole and pull it through.

The plastic is pretty soft and if you're careful you can slice it without damaging the keg (I did manage to nick the top surface but it should be okay. As with most things like this I reckon it would be easier next time around.

Sent from my HT7 using Tapatalk

Just have a quick check inside to make sure that there aren't any CO2 cylinders in there!

Some MK's have an enormous CO2 reservoir inside which is impossible to remove without serious work on the MK.

I don't expect the Hob Gob to have one but I recommend that you avoid those MKs with a tap fitted to the top; 'cos they definitely have them.

From what I have experienced ... :thumb:

... the bungs aren't re-usable and they are an absolute bugger to get out without damaging the MK. :doh:

My advice (when the MK is empty of course) is to lift the black tab, grab it with a big pair of pliers and pull straight upwards. Hopefully, this removes the top half of the vent, doesn't damage the MK and leaves you with a bottom half of the vent still in the bung; so push the bottom half of the vent into the MK.

Now comes the hard bit!

I use pair of slim nosed pliers to "crimp" the edges of the bung so that I can get hold of it with a much bigger pair of pliers.

I then lever the bung out with the bigger pair of pliers; whilst attempting to NOT deform the hole that is holding the bung.

The bit of the bung that has been pushed inside can be washed out when washing the inside of the MK. It makes it a lot easier if there is plenty of water inside and the bottom tap is open.

Best of luck! :thumb: :thumb:

Now, I'm not very good at DIY (I'm horrendous!) but couldn't you take a very sharp knife and, after removing the centre bit, cut must of the way through the remaining bung and then give it a yank to tear the remaining bit? Sounds easy in my head. :lol:

Latest posts

Back