Rhizome Swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all! It’s great to see there are a fair few of us on here who either grow hops or want to grow hops, so now that they’ve been cut back and the rhizome is dormant, it’s as good a time than ever to split the ones which have grown large enough.

With those cuttings, new plants can be grown from them, so instead of plant them elsewhere, or worse " throw them away :O " why not swap them for a different variety or something else?

The best way for this work is to state what varieties you have which can be traded, what you are looking for, and any other useful information. The swap doesn’t need to be rhizome for rhizome, but can be for brewing equipment, homebrews, commercial brews, anything really, as long as a rhizome is part of the swap. That way, anyone who wants to get into hop growing and might have excess equipment, excess bottles etc. can still get their first one.

Anything sent in the post is your liability and your responsibility, so package well and make sure you know how to split a rhizome. There is a lot of info online about this and some Youtube videos as well. Please do your best to package the rhizomes and any other equipment well.

I’ll go first: I have a Fuggles, Saaz, and possibly a cascade ready to split (I will have to confirm about the Cascade) and swap. I’ve never used any chemicals or man made fertiliser on them and can be considered organically grown.

I’m looking for a Columbus rhizome, and open to any offers of equipment or bottles of commercial or homebrew. I’m also open to any homegrown dried cones you might have an excess of.

My First Gold isn't ready to be split (it's first year this year) but I would love a Cascade Rhizome if anyone has spare - You'll hopefully get a First Gold in return in a year's time :thumb:

Here's a video on how to split the rhizome [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvvj5Lu3bWs[/ame]

From what I've read it says the rhizome should be in its second or third year, but other sources say when it gets too big which can happen in its first year.

I've just ordered Cascade from willingham nurseries and this shall be my first attempt at growing hops.I would certainly be interested in any Dwarf varieties if anyone has them.👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Have ordered four varieties this year and would be more than happy in coming years to split and share.

Have ordered

cascade
target
northern brewer
saaz.

Really looking forward to seeing how this pans out worst case lost a few quid.

I have planted one Cascade, one chinook, one zenith and one galena rhizome this year so hope to get some hops for this year. Got to erect my hop frame so fingers crossed!

Back