vwp and cleaning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
so, i may have a 'wild' yeast infection in my fv,
will soaking it in vwp sort it out? im planning a brew tomorrow so i have time to soak it over night.. or do i use bleach?
comments appreciated ,,

is the FV plastic or glass? If it's plastic mate just replace it. £10 for a new bucket is worth it vs. wasting grain/hops or a kit and finding out in a few weeks it is infected again. :( If it's glass, bleach it or cook it. I've really gone off VWP. I used it to start and rinsed like normal but always found a slight tcp, medicinal taste to my beers (only slight) which has disappeared after switched to starsan.

I tend to blast my fv with a hose post fermentation/bottling then fill and add two cap fulls of bleach before emptying and refilling and cleaning it (and everything else) with vwp.

I've really gone off VWP. I used it to start and rinsed like normal but always found a slight tcp, medicinal taste to my beers (only slight) which has disappeared after switched to starsan.

I switched from vwp to starsan for my bottles (so much easier) but have since read that starsan won't kill wild yeast, so if you have this in a bottle you can pass it round a whole batch by using starsan and a bottle washer :-(

I've gone back to vwp but hating the whole soak, scrub with bottle brush and two rinses this requires. It takes an hour prep the bottles for a batch now instead of the previous 10 minutes with starsan :-(

Neither VWP nor Starsan will get rid of it.

I had infections in my FVs and kegs last year, I was using VWP in between brews but the infections kept coming back. Eventually got rid of it by giving the FVs a thorough clean, then an Oxy clean, then VWP, and finally a kettle full of boiled water down the inside. No infections since.

I now always use a kettle full of boiled water after the VWP stage, may seem like overkill but believe me it's not fun chucking 6 batches of beer down the drain so I'd rather the belt n braces approach.

I switched from vwp to starsan for my bottles (so much easier) but have since read that starsan won't kill wild yeast, so if you have this in a bottle you can pass it round a whole batch by using starsan and a bottle washer :-(

I've gone back to vwp but hating the whole soak, scrub with bottle brush and two rinses this requires. It takes an hour prep the bottles for a batch now instead of the previous 10 minutes with starsan :-(

Surely that kind of cross contamination would be unlikely? There wouldn't be much wild yeast in a single bottle, I would think the chances of it getting rinsed out into the solution then sprayed into another bottle and staying there is slim, never mind ruining the whole batch....of course I could be wrong but unless it actually happened to me I don't think I'd ever think it'd be likely.

the theory comes from having a too low fg ..so before it even goes to bottle,
might just chuck the fv and buy a new one..
thanks for your reply's guys,:thumb:

Neither VWP nor Starsan will get rid of it.

I had infections in my FVs and kegs last year, I was using VWP in between brews but the infections kept coming back. Eventually got rid of it by giving the FVs a thorough clean, then an Oxy clean, then VWP, and finally a kettle full of boiled water down the inside. No infections since.

I now always use a kettle full of boiled water after the VWP stage, may seem like overkill but believe me it's not fun chucking 6 batches of beer down the drain so I'd rather the belt n braces approach.

Much as I admire a belt and braces approach, having read about people resorting to using a pressure cooker to get temps above 100c, I don't think boiled water would kill wild yeast

If you wash your bottles thoroughly then stack on their sides in an oven preheated to 140c/120c fan/gas1 until they are dry should take care of any beasties 10-15mins will probably do it. Take the swing tops off first. Obviously leave to cool before touching :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Videne, if it's good enough for operating theaters it's good enough for my FV. Dirt cheap as well.

That looks like an iodophor - I have heard to them before - American like using them and someone told me that commercial breweries sanitise with these type of products.

I use povidone iodine in work a lot and it is great for killing most bugs but will only work if the item to be sanitised is thoroughly cleaned before hand. It completely inactivates in the presence of organic materials

If you wash your bottles thoroughly then stack on their sides in an oven preheated to 140c/120c fan/gas1 until they are dry should take care of any beasties 10-15mins will probably do it. Take the swing tops off first. Obviously leave to cool before touching :lol:

ikts not the bottles. its the fv,
itll melt :lol:

Erm, did I do something wrong?

30925271-Burning-plastic-bottle-Stock-Photo.jpg

That's what I use, I bought mine from Tesco's pharmacy. They don't stock it but order in 24 hours. No rinse and only needs contact for seconds although I leave it longer. A use rate of 1.5ml per litre so that bottle goes a long way.

Does it not leave any sort of discoloration to the FV? I'm starting to prepare for when I run out of Starsan so this could be an alternative.

I've been unlucky enough to have this stuff put on me before an operation, from memory it smelt pretty strongly of iodine.

Have you seen any off flavors or "medical" smells when you've used this for sanitizing? Especially if you've not rinsed it off?

Does it not leave any sort of discoloration to the FV? I'm starting to prepare for when I run out of Starsan so this could be an alternative.

I've been unlucky enough to have this stuff put on me before an operation, from memory it smelt pretty strongly of iodine.

Have you seen any off flavors or "medical" smells when you've used this for sanitizing? Especially if you've not rinsed it off?

No odors or staining

Back