Dream keg size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the dream size of a keg

• 5 Liters

• 9 Liters

• 12 Liters

• 20 Liters

• 25 Liters

• 30 Liters

Results are only viewable after voting.

Erlendl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been thinking about starting up with kegs, but I see there are many different sizes and types.
So my question is what is the dream size of a keg?

For meg i think 25L would be great seeing that all my batches are 25L :)

Plase vote and/or komment the size you would like to be available.

Welcome to the Forum! :thumb:

Ooooh! A real poser of a question! :lol: :lol:

I have:

o 2 x 25 litre kegs that are generally filled for travel and when I expect some help in drinking the contents.

o 9 x 5 litre kegs that are filled for travel and occasionally taken to friends for parties.

o 50 x 500ml and 70 x 650ml bottles that are generally filled for my own consumption and long maturing.

I would never want a keg bigger than 25 litres so I guess somewhere around the 9 litre mark would fill a niche ...

... but only if it was inexpensive, could be stored with a small footprint (i.e. tall and slender) and force carbed without a lot of fancy gear.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Thanks for the answer dutto :)
I must say that a slender 9/10 liter keg sounds good.
How can one force carb without fancy gear?

Even the small 8g CO2 capsules can force carb a keg. At the moment I have a sweet low alcohol cider in a 25 litre Wilco keg that has been carbonated using four 8g capsules.

I stopped fermentation with a Wilco Stabiliser, introduced water and pure apple juice and carbonated the result.

Ideally, I should do a lot more research, get a larger source of CO2 and look for a keg that will take more than the 15psi of the ordinary 25 litre keg ... :thumb: :thumb:

... then I realise I am talking Corny Keg and think "I may as well just wait for someone to invent exactly what I need at about 9 litres capacity!" :whistle: :whistle:

I can see a huge advantage with using 8 or 16 g capsules when it comes to portability.
For a kegerator the weight will not be that important ofc.
I would probarbly be using keg for camping tips with friends and parties.
Since we are 3 people that brew together, and we brew 3x25l batches every time, bottles work better for when we make brew just for omr own consumption.
So. Portability is the most important aspect for us.

I was wondering about the sodastream co2 bottles. How much co do you use per liter for carbing and for ringing out the beer?

when it comes to co2 at ��£25 or less for 6.5kg and some folk up north seem to get a bottle full for ��£10-��£15?? there is very little point looking at smaller sources unless your really tight on space. the deposits most places ask on the first bottle is returnable, and not all agent charge a deposit at all..

If tight on space aquarium shops stock small 1kg iirc co2 bottles with standard regulator threaded fittings for something like ��£60, but as your buying the bottle your responsible to get it safety certified every 5 years or so. I have no idea about refill costs but i would expect it to be less than a fiver probably about ��£2-��£3

If taking a keg out to share dont take a full one,, take one with some headroom so it can contain enough co2 to push out all the beer, or if you only have full kegs take a 2nd empty keg with 25psi of co2 contained to top up the beer keg as needed.. if your lumping a full keg about with tap and probably icebath, a 2nd one with some co2 in it isnt gonna be much of an extra hassle..

EDIT** when armed with a regulated supply of co2 in a big bottle you can use it for so many things such as chain cleaning /rinsing/sanitising kegs by pushing the solutions through successive kegs, get a �£2 ebay airtool and add a length of tube and you can flush bottles fv's and other vessels with co2 before use.
even with all the extra uses you can put it to with a few kegs a full sized bottle should last a good few years,

Aha. Thanks for all the tips Fil :)
I realy do not have a big problem sourcing a co2 bottle and filling , but i do think that the co2 regulators are pretty expencive! If my brewing mates and I were to get kegs they would only be used a couple times a year On our camping trips and summer party. So we would like the price to be very low.
How long does a keg take to settle after transport?

at least 24 hours, how long does a shaken up bottle of your brews usually take to settle and clear??, but sediment is easily avoided by drawing off the first dirty 1/2 pint from a well settled keg, and then decanting the bright beer into an empty keg using co2 to push the full keg through under pressure. Leaving you with a full keg of bright beer and no sediment to mix in in the first place. So with a keg of bright beer, all you need do on arrival would be chill it to encourage all the co2 agitated out of suspension during the journey has settled back into suspension.

However If planning for use exclusively for camping trips, an upto £30 regulator is the least of the costs, using corny kegs with dedicated prvs (pressure relief valves) fitted in each keg you dont require one of the more expensive 'brewing regs' with a prv fitted.. if you use sankey type kegs, then its a different matter but you can source US style couplers with prvs fitted.

To condition beer consistently with pressure in a keg you require full control over both the keg pressure and its temperature, cold beer being more accommodating to co2.. Temperature control or at least careful appreciation and accounting for is also crucial for pouring a consistent pint too, Most opt for the keg fridge as the most economical solution. kegs are only the containers used in a dispensing system, and as home brewers we tend to use simple basic solutions compared to some commercial solutions to beer dispensing problems for example micro line pressure restriction is a common home brewers solution to stopping fobbing or foamy pours while bars use much more elaborate systems. Even so there are some necessary expenditures, a regulator being a small cost in the grand scheme.

Back