SS Conical FV U.K.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my Chronical I've only got a washer on the inside (per your third pic) and not on the outside. My raking arm set-up is different since its part of the ball valve assembly that uses different type of connects to yours. If in doubt phone the malt Miller and ask to speak to Rob.

On your racking arm/valve you shouldn't be having to tighten a nut directly onto a washer. Mine came with spare washer I haven't used yet.

this from the brewmaster site...the thermowell only needs the washer on the inside...the outside one is a spare.
Brewmaster Edtion Features
Installing the Thermowell: Begin by removing the included locknut
from the thermowell assembly. There will be two O-rings found on the
threaded portion of the fitting. Remove one of the O-rings and retain
it as a spare, the thermowell only requires ONE O-ring to form a liquid
tight seal.
Next, feed the thermowell through the 17 mm punch found just below
the Ss Brewing Technologies logo on the front of the Brew Bucket. The
O-ring should be seated against the interior sidewall of the vessel, as
shown. Lastly, thread the locknut onto the fitting from the exterior and
tighten.

For the Ball Valve it does apparantly use two O rings...one outside and one inside....maybe you should lubricate it with vaseline or silicone grease to stop it distorting??
Use two large O-rings; one
between the valve body and outer
sidewall, and the second between
the inner sidewall and locknut.

I have the same issue with my brew bucket. I'm considering getting a larger diameter O ring. As in circumference. Because the ones supplied squash after no pressure being applied. And only using one on the inside or exterior seal means that the racking arm leaks as soon as you rotate it.

I would say to look at my YouTube video but it's suspended at the moment until I resolve a copy write issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue with my brew bucket. I'm considering getting a larger diameter O ring. As in circumference. Because the ones supplied squash after no pressure being applied. And only using one on the inside or exterior seal means that the racking arm leaks as soon as you rotate it.

I would say to look at my YouTube video but it's suspended at the moment until I resolve a copy write issue.

Thank god im not the only one!!
Thought it was my under working brain! Got worried coz even simple tasks that I've not done or forgot due to memory loss with illness I was doing things wrong!! I normally do lol
I've re-done the thermo well with only one rubber washer! That's fine..
But the ball valve issue is ****!! A nearly £200 and they can't get a rubber washer that serves the purpose!!
And you know the old joke about "what's the purpose of a seal?" Lol

Yeah just seen the issue..the newest subsciper on ya channel btw lol

@manxnorton I think you need to do something to the stainless steel of the FV to prepare it before you can use it. I cant remeber the name but I'll do some googling to find out what it is.....

@manxnorton I think you need to do something to the stainless steel of the FV before you can use it. I cant remeber the name but I'll do some googling to find out what it is.....

Ehhhhh???
I've cleaned it from manufacturer grease etc...and then cleaned it in star SAN over nite...then a fresh batch of star San before hand...
304 is my fav SS...from using it in the custom knive trade...

Ehhhhh???
I've cleaned it from manufacturer grease etc...and then cleaned it in star SAN over nite...then a fresh batch of star San before hand...
304 is my fav SS...from using it in the custom knive trade...
OK. No problem. I was talking about passivating (thats the term I was trying to remember) the steel which you've done by soaking in starsan overnight :thumb:

They recommend pre cleaning (de greasing ) with tri sodium phosphate (guess detergent would work) then passivating with Starsan...I forgot I filled it with starsan when I first got it. After fermentations I use Sodium percarbonate (similar to oxyclean??) solution to clean up then sterilise with starsan.

Pre-Clean: Prior to first time use, thoroughly wash all surfaces of the
Brew Bucket, including all valves and fittings, with Tri-Sodium Phosphate
(TSP) in hot water, mixed to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Scrub
with a soft terry cloth, and after the initial TSP wash, rinse thoroughly
and dry all surfaces.
Passivation: It’s good practice to periodically passivate all stainless
steel equipment with an acid based solution to establish a uniform
passive oxide layer that will maximize corrosion resistance. Following the
pre-clean step, fill the Brew Bucket with Star San at a concentration of 1
ounce per gallon at 70-80°F for 30 minutes. Moving forward, for best
stainless performance, passivation should be performed at least
once a year or anytime you believe you may have inadvertently
scratched the surface.

Edit Oops you've already done that...I 'm way behind this morning. :oops:

They recommend pre cleaning (de greasing ) with tri sodium phosphate (guess detergent would work) then passivating with Starsan...I forgot I filled it with starsan when I first got it. After fermentations I use Sodium percarbonate (similar to oxyclean??) solution to clean up then sterilise with starsan.

Pre-Clean: Prior to first time use, thoroughly wash all surfaces of the
Brew Bucket, including all valves and fittings, with Tri-Sodium Phosphate
(TSP) in hot water, mixed to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Scrub
with a soft terry cloth, and after the initial TSP wash, rinse thoroughly
and dry all surfaces.
Passivation: It’s good practice to periodically passivate all stainless
steel equipment with an acid based solution to establish a uniform
passive oxide layer that will maximize corrosion resistance. Following the
pre-clean step, fill the Brew Bucket with Star San at a concentration of 1
ounce per gallon at 70-80°F for 30 minutes. Moving forward, for best
stainless performance, passivation should be performed at least
once a year or anytime you believe you may have inadvertently
scratched the surface.

Edit Oops you've already done that...I 'm way behind this morning. :oops:

One thing I remember working with SS at least!!! Lol
Mind I had to ask my ol mentor when I was learning working with Steel! Lol
You didn't think I was clever nuff to do it before getting told ha! Ha! I'm like a small child at times...as you've seen lol
But I love yous telling me...seems someone know how I work! Thank you
I apreciate your patients :-)

Good video. Am wondering if you could put a PTFE washer (if such a thing exists) between the ballvalve/racking arm nut and the inside washer so it rotates without distorting the washer and stays watertight.
I'd give feedback to Rob at The Malt Miller that this arrangement for the ball valve is a poor design...am sure he is in regular contact with Brewtech. Maybe he already knows a fix since everyone will be facing the same problem.

One thing I remember working with SS at least!!! Lol
Mind I had to ask my ol mentor when I was learning working with Steel! Lol
You didn't think I was clever nuff to do it before getting told ha! Ha! I'm like a small child at times...as you've seen lol
But I love yous telling me...seems someone know how I work! Thank you
I apreciate your patients :-)
:thumb:
I just feel guilty that I recommended the brewbucket based on my good experience with the Chronical, without realising that their ball valve/racking are attachment arrangement is such a poor design.

Good video. Am wondering if you could put a PTFE washer (if such a thing exists) between the ballvalve/racking arm nut and the inside washer so it rotates without distorting the washer and stays watertight.
I'd give feedback to Rob at The Malt Miller that this arrangement for the ball valve is a poor design...am sure he is in regular contact with Brewtech. Maybe he already knows a fix since everyone will be facing the same problem.

I do love shiny stuff (not that I can afford any :lol:) but there's one big advantage to having such a low tech and simple set up (even my plastic FV dont have taps on them), there's nothing to go wrong

It's a shame there seems to be a basic problem with leaks from the racking arm...you'd have thought such a nice expensive bit of kit would be near faultless.
Does this mean I will have to drop serious hints to the misuse that she may have to return the shiny I put on my Christmas list due to it being faulty and get me some socks instead.....? I bleedin wish!

Cheers

Clint

@manxnorton I think you need to do something to the stainless steel of the FV to prepare it before you can use it. I cant remeber the name but I'll do some googling to find out what it is.....

If you watch the first part of video one in post 15 he discusses it. :thumb:

He also discusses the washers and only hand tightening the nut etc.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK4xjjOvlc[/ame]

Maybe it's all the Christmas spirit that the wife has had today but I've just been given the green light to get this.

It's a Christmas miracle.
Good on you! :thumb: When you order may be worth ordering some starsan if you haven't already got some (or Malt Millers own version which is the same and a lot cheaper), and Sodium Percarbonate for cleaning it.

Latest posts

Back