Brett IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal_Ball

Reaction score
Hoping to get this brew on in the next couple of days after making my first ever starter last night.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 19.00 l

Est OG: 1.049
IBU: 54.8
EBC: 8.7
Est ABV: 5%

90 min mash @ 65c
60 min boil

Ingredients

Yeast Bay Wlp 4637 - Amalgamation - Brett Super Blend

3.000 kg BEST Pale Ale (BESTMALZ) (6.0 EBC) 72.3 %
1.000 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (3.0 EBC) 24.1 %
0.150 kg Cara Malt (28.0 EBC) 3.6 %
40.00 g Magnum [10.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 49.6 IBUs
5.00 g Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min 2.3 IBUs
5.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.0 IBUs
50.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
100.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
50.00 g Centennial [10.30 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
50.00 g Chinook [13.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

Plan is after 2 weeks of fermenting to add the dry hops for 4 days and then bottle

Last edited:
I thought Yeast Bay recommended not making starters with their blends? I've got a vial of amalgamation in the fridge so am interested to see how you get on with it.

2 weeks also seems quite short for a brett fermentation.

I thought Yeast Bay recommended not making starters with their blends? I've got a vial of amalgamation in the fridge so am interested to see how you get on with it.

2 weeks also seems quite short for a brett fermentation.

After reading the tiny text on the vial i can see you are quite right! Im not sure what to do with it now. Should i use it or not?

I do have another vial in the fridge but that too is past the best before date. Here is the recipe I'm following with regards to the 2 week fermentation time followed by the hop schedule.
https://recipes.brewuk.co.uk/view-recipe/400

After reading the tiny text on the vial i can see you are quite right! Im not sure what to do with it now. Should i use it or not?

I do have another vial in the fridge but that too is past the best before date. Here is the recipe I'm following with regards to the 2 week fermentation time followed by the hop schedule.

I would go ahead and use it. The reason starters aren't recommended for blends is because one of the yeasts will usually grow more than the other which will throw off the balance.If it's an old vial though I would probably have done a starter anyway.

Now you have the starter, use it - I wouldnt think it's going to be a problem.

looking at your recipe though, just note that the dry hops are added after 2 weeks of stable gravity.

I've only ever done one 100% Brett fermentation and it took about 3/4 weeks for the gravity to stabilize. Mind you, I didn't see any visible signs of fermentation for a few days.

Good luck!

Now you have the starter, use it - I wouldnt think it's going to be a problem.

looking at your recipe though, just note that the dry hops are added after 2 weeks of stable gravity.

I've only ever done one 100% Brett fermentation and it took about 3/4 weeks for the gravity to stabilize. Mind you, I didn't see any visible signs of fermentation for a few days.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info ill keep it in mind.

I would go ahead and use it. The reason starters aren't recommended for blends is because one of the yeasts will usually grow more than the other which will throw off the balance.If it's an old vial though I would probably have done a starter anyway.

Thanks for the info and good to know.:thumb:

High IBUs can restrict some true Brett strains in a 100 per cent fermentation. It depends what result you want. Of course if you're using BB Trois, then IBUs don't matter as its actually a Sacc strain!

High IBUs can restrict some true Brett strains in a 100 per cent fermentation. It depends what result you want. Of course if you're using BB Trois, then IBUs don't matter as its actually a Sacc strain!

What's your source for this, never heard that before?

I did this brew yesterday. My OG was 1.046 so 3 points short of target.
Might have been due to the pump getting a little blocked with grain as some escaped when I had a bit of a fountain between the malt pipe and the sieves. Not quite sure why I had the fountain as its at least the 2nd time this has happened.
Had a nosey in the brew fridge today and nice fruity smell in there as part of the lid wasn't quite sealed. Fingers crossed it will ferment out, but as recommended ill have either US05 or the other Amalgamation yeast on standby.

Back