Brett IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a month on from this going into the FV its been a bit of a journey!
After 10 days it had only dropped to 1.028 so the paranoia set in after using a vial that was past its BB date so as I had another vial of the same yeast and I decided to get that up to 18C roughly and pitched it straight from the vial with no starter. (later reading suggests I was just being too impatient!) Had a nice fruity taste to it with quite a bit of bitterness too.

1 week later I go to the garage to look in the fermenting fridge and notice the Inkbird is reading 14C! So I moved it to my other fermenting fridge to the temp it needed to be which is 22C. (Turns out the different heat tube I purchased is a bit sh*te! Plus the fridge is a bit bigger)

Another 1 week later and I took a sample and it was down to 1.010 which I was a lot happier about. Gave the sample a smell and I thought it had quite a resemblance to cat pee! (Trust me I know what that smells like!) Getting past the smell it now had a very dry mouth feel.

Today and another week on the reading is 1.006 and it now has its fruity aroma back along with the very dry taste. I guess that is down to the continued fermentation.

I have read that it needs to be stable for a good 2 weeks before bottling due to the very slow work of the Brett yeast. Looks like i'm in for the long haul with this one!!

Dry hop went in a couple of days ago. The surface of the wort looked like I haven't seen before on something I have brewed. Is it possibly the white surface infection thing I have seen discussed on the forum or just a feature of the Brett yeast or just absolutely fine?

IMG_2278.jpg

I used some recultured yeast bay brett saison blend recently and it looked exactly the same as that after 3 weeks. I cold crashed and bottled it anyway and it tasted fine at that point. I'll be tasting the first bottle this weekend to see if it's ok. I think it's just a characteristic of the brett to be honest.

If I'm honest I don't recall seeing the white stuff forming on the top of mine. But I added so much dry hop leaf that the top of the beer was covered. Be really interested to see hear how this turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's exactly what you're looking for with a Brett fermentation!!

Looks like it's working just fine.

Bottled 32 x 500ml of this last night. FG was 1.004
Quite milky in colour although not bothered about it being clear.
Final taste before bottling was very sour. Nothing like I have tasted before. Smelt better that it tasted!
How long a conditioning period has anyone else waited for a Brett beer before being at its best?

That's a Brett blend isn't it Steve? I wouldn't expect it to produce a Sour beer. I suspect that you have unfortunately have an infection [emoji22]

I believe it is a Brett blend.
If that's the case then that's one way of putting me off Brett beer brewing after the time, money and effort put into it!!!
Ironically I'm brewing a sour beer at the moment!

I believe it is a Brett blend.

If that's the case then that's one way of putting me off Brett beer brewing after the time, money and effort put into it!!!

Ironically I'm brewing a sour beer at the moment!

I can swap you a Brett saison (the one that Steve had and cultured his Brett starter from) if that helps, and you have/want to swap something.

That's a Brett blend isn't it Steve? I wouldn't expect it to produce a Sour beer. I suspect that you have unfortunately have an infection [emoji22]

Yeah it's a brett blend so it shouldn't be sour. You might get a little citrusy tartness but it shouldn't be very sour as described. Infection is a possibility I'm afraid.
Crystal Ball don't be put off brett beers they can be really beautiful, I suggest you take hoddy up on his offer because that is a fantastic beer.

I can swap you a Brett saison (the one that Steve had and cultured his Brett starter from) if that helps, and you have/want to swap something.

I'll take you up on that offer. I can then at least see what I might have been able to create.
In terms of what you'd like from me id say go for the 60 minute IPA which is a Greg Hughes recipe. The Mandarine Bavaria is a SMaSH that I created, but could probably do with being a bit punchier. Ive got a Vermont IPA that ill be dry hopping in the next day or two so a few weeks to wait for this one.

I'll take you up on that offer. I can then at least see what I might have been able to create.
In terms of what you'd like from me id say go for the 60 minute IPA which is a Greg Hughes recipe. The Mandarine Bavaria is a SMaSH that I created, but could probably do with being a bit punchier. Ive got a Vermont IPA that ill be dry hopping in the next day or two so a few weeks to wait for this one.

No problem. I'm really quite pleased with how my first Brett has turned out so I'm more than happy to share it around. I'll let you decide on the beer to send back. Although I've always been interested with manderine Bavaria hops and never got round to trying them.

PM me your address and I'll send a bottle over [emoji1303] be fascinated to hear what you make of it.

Already mentioned to @Hoddy that I have tasted his beer but thought I would put some notes here.

His Brett Saison was clean and crisp in flavour and although he said to serve chilled which I did from the fridge I got a fruity flavour once it had warmed up a little. Carbonation and head was great. Not the sort I could drink many of in a session. The Brett saison I thought is not too dissimilar to my Brett IPA so if anyone does fancy a swap and try mine let me know.

Latest posts

Back