Homebrew automation unit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
This came up in my FB feed https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smartpid-smart-temperature-and-process-controller-arduino-beer#/ which looks interesting. It appears to be an STC unit but with way more features. The only issue I can see is that the end user still needs to wire in their cables. Whilst a lot of you probably don't think twice about this, I have blown up a controller and melted others.

With clear instructions it could be good, or I could give it to my dad who is an electronics engineer.

I'm intrigued by it because we are trying to build something similar using a Raspberry Pi and buying all the components is the same price.

This does look pretty cool. I guess the flexibility comes at the cost of technical involvement. I like that it's open source software so you don't have to buy the equipment from them. Still, for fermentation control I'm looking at the BrewPi. It's designed just for that, comes in at a comparable price despite having better logging and remote access capabilities, plus it had a pretty sweet algorithm which uses sensors in a thermowell and the fermentation chamber in order to alter the temperature of the chamber such that the temperature of the brew remains within 0.3C of your desired fermentation temperature. It quickly learns about your specific set up so controls with pinpoint accuracy.

Latest posts

Back