Used Grain and Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanzanite

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all. This afternoon i steeped 300g of Simpsons DRM and 100 g Imperial Malt. After straining into my brew i looked at the remains it smelt lovely. I took a mouthful and it tasted nice , Apart from bird feed or garden compost , there must be some uses for this , maybe adding to flour and baking bread , Does any one have any ideas or uses . It know it not expensive and its done its job but it seems such a shame to throw it away.

Like you said, add it into baked products. But do not use too much, as these things do not really digest any more.

I ship it to a colleague of my wife, who keeps goats. The animals love it.

Like you said, add it into baked products. But do not use too much, as these things do not really digest any more.

I ship it to a colleague of my wife, who keeps goats. The animals love it.

I used to keep ducks and chickens they loved it , i take it down to the lakes for the waterfowl but just wondered about kitchen uses might have a go at a DRM loaf tomorrow:thumb:

Hello all. This afternoon i steeped 300g of Simpsons DRM and 100 g Imperial Malt. After straining into my brew i looked at the remains it smelt lovely. I took a mouthful and it tasted nice , Apart from bird feed or garden compost , there must be some uses for this , maybe adding to flour and baking bread , Does any one have any ideas or uses . It know it not expensive and its done its job but it seems such a shame to throw it away.

you could try these my dog love them.
if you have a lot then you could maybe sale them and make a few quid
http://www.17apart.com/2013/07/how-to-make-spent-beer-grain-dog-treats.html

I've put some on the compost heap, and despite the fact that the local pheasants lurk there, they've ignored it and hang round under the bird feeders.

I've put some on the compost heap, and despite the fact that the local pheasants lurk there, they've ignored it and hang round under the bird feeders.

They would be hanging around with those roast spuds we cant eat in my roasting tin if they were near me :lol:

I already use the trub to cultivate the yeast for bread making and I took a serious look at the spent grain after the brew on Sunday; but as I was cold, tired and felt a little "spent" myself I finally chucked it in the bin.

It's been bugging me ever since so I'm determined to use it after the next brew.

I'm not keen on "no knead" bread recipes so what does everyone think of this for a recipe to make 3 x 800g loaves?

o Take 900g of spent grain and pass it through the "fine" blade on a mincer. (This is to ensure that the grain is ground to less than the "cracked grain" size which I have the malt-mill set at.)

o Mix 300g of spent grain with 300g of strong white flour.

o Add 1 tsp of salt.

o Add 20g of olive oil.

o Add +/- 200g of "yeast/water/sugar" mix - slowly. (I normally use 300g of water with 500g of strong white flour but I figure that mashed grain will need less.)

Knead to a stiff dough.

Put dough somewhere warm until doubled in size.

Knock back and put in loaf tin until doubled in size.

Bake in a hot oven until top dark brown.

I already use the trub to cultivate the yeast for bread making and I took a serious look at the spent grain after the brew on Sunday; but as I was cold, tired and felt a little "spent" myself I finally chucked it in the bin.

It's been bugging me ever since so I'm determined to use it after the next brew.

I'm not keen on "no knead" bread recipes so what does everyone think of this for a recipe to make 3 x 800g loaves?

o Take 900g of spent grain and pass it through the "fine" blade on a mincer. (This is to ensure that the grain is ground to less than the "cracked grain" size which I have the malt-mill set at.)

o Add 1 tsp of salt.

o Add 20g of olive oil.

o Add +/- 200g of "yeast/water/sugar" mix - slowly. (I normally use 300g of water with 500g of strong white flour but I figure that mashed grain will need less.)

Knead to a stiff dough.

Sounds good but a wetter dough is better if your using a tin loaf so dont be frightened to use the recommended amount , if its drier it will stand up better for country style. i am making some tomorrow using white and spelt flour i am keeping the grains at crushed size for texture and will sprinkle some on the top when proving , I will knead for a good 5 mins get that gluten moving then tin and prove and bake, No prove shape prove and bake. i am using DRM Malt and Imperial malt thats been steeped if that dont work i will be on duttos no kneed method

if you are a fisherman you could use the spent grain in with your groundbait
my son have mine when he goes fishing says it work a treat

Okay, so this afternoon I brewed, this evening I baked and tonight I ate a magnificent slice of spent-grain bread! :thumb:

Unfortunately, (:whistle:) SWMBO got the second slice which was a stodgy mess that was hot enough to melt plastic, still not cooked and was virtually a hole with a crisp top and a stodgy bottom! :doh:

I'm living in hope that the second loaf will be a lot better; but (not being totally stupid) I'm not going to slice it just yet!

Basically, I didn't add enough flour to the first loaf and also didn't allow for how wet the grain was so as a result the loaf was almost "melting" as the moisture came out of the grain during the proving.

I hope for better in the second loaf because I added 100g more flour and 100ml less water so in the mixing bowl it was stiff enough to whiz round with the blade. It hasn't risen as much as the first loaf but I have high hopes that it will be a better loaf.

The photographs show how easy it is to be fooled! :doh:

Bread 1.jpg

Bread 2.jpg

o Add 1 tsp of salt.

o Add 20g of olive oil.

Knead to a stiff dough.

HA! This is one time I don't mind quoting myself. Boy did I get it wrong! :doh: :doh:

After last nights attempt I now reckon that 1 to 4 (spent grain to strong flour) is probably a better ratio ...

... and be very sparing with the liquid yeast!

The mixtures rose okey, were a bit "sticky" when I knocked them back BUT they left some pretty soggy dough behind despite looking fantastic.

On the second loaf, I added more flour to stiffen the dough (but obviously not enough) so it is "Back to the drawing board!" methinks! :doh:

The good news is that the crusts taste fantastic so:

A) Apart from the doughy centre they will both get eaten! :thumb:

B) I will be trying again with a 1:4 ratio and a lot less liquid! :whistle:

Bread 3.jpg

@Dutto I had a similar problem with mine. Outsides lovely, insides a bit on the wet side... I assumed I could blame my oven (fan oven that doesn't get crazy hot) or the size of loaf I'd made.

I forgot the "put it through the mincer" stage in the excitement! :doh:

Looking back, mincing the grain would have released a lot of the moisture before the first mixing and kneading with the flour.

As it was, the moisture obviously "bled" out of the grain at all stages; even when baking in the oven!

Ah well, "Live and learn1" as they say. :thumb:

But only if you live long enough! :doh:

Last grain bread I did I left flat which avoids the soggy centre, scored the top to break up. Into portion s once cooked. If you look for a picture of Ramadan bread to get the idea.

It makes a lot of sense to use spent grain in a flat bread. :thumb:

I make a lot of naan bread, chapatis and tortillas when friends visit, but I always consider them "make and eat" bread as they are generally consumed within an hour of cooking. (Mainly because after about an hour they go as chewy as leather!) :doh:

Spent grain will keep a few days in the fridge so I will definitely bear that in mind. Thanks. :thumb:

I hate waste and as someone who doesn't own a dog or keep chickens I am seriously looking at other uses for the stuff.

So, has anyone ever dried it out and then re-ground it to make flour for cooking? :?: :?:

After all, I do own a mill that can grind the stuff that fine ... :thumb:

... if I'm not very careful! :lol: :lol:

Back