Golden ale using extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
It's not one of my favourites, but my wife is keen for me to try a golden/summer ale. Something akin to Proper Job or Fullers Honeydew would be best, so thinking maybe some Citra or Mosaic in there.

Not found too many recipes for brewing one using extract and steeped grains. Some suggest using Pilsen Light DME which looks hard to get hold of. Other than that it looks like light LME plus Crystal and Carapils.

But does anyone have a favourite recipe or a clone of one of the above beers?

I suggest that you click on the "Recipes" section at the top of the page and then go ...

... Search > Beer Recipes > type in "Summer Ale" > select "Extract" ...

... and enjoy browsing through dozens of recipes! :thumb:

Proper Job is available as an Extract kit
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/st-austell-proper-job.html

I can confirm that it's spot on if you leave it to condition for a month or so. I brewed it, took some on holiday to Devon and did a direct A/B comparison in the local St Austell pub - couldn't taste the difference. Sorry but it doesn't feel right to post their recipe seeing as they've put time and effort into cloning it.

There's a couple of good recipes out there in the open in the Graham Wheeler book: Exmoor Gold and Hop Back Summer Lightning are both just DME and hops (Challenger and Goldings), I've just brewed the Summer Lightning (AG tho) and it's excellent, and have done Exmoor Gold (extract) several times in the past, and it's also been very good.

Thanks for all this. I also couldn't see the recipes until I looked on a desktop browser. Plenty to chew on there but I'm surprised by how simple many of the Proper Job-style recipes are. Can you really get good results with one LME and DME, no steeped grains?

Proper Job is an American C hop based IPA , nice IMO and got a bit of a punch for a golden coloured ale cascade chinnok and willamette.(IIRC from the label)

You could buy the kit posted above (which by the sounds of it is good but expensive) or have a stab yourself I dont think it would be too hard to come up with something similar if not identical.

So here's recipe I'm going with. Let me know your thoughts:

1.5kg Marris Otter extract
500g DME Wheat
(Both suggested on the traditional bitter thread)
500g DME Extra Light

500g Munich
(Sggested for nuttiness)
500g Crystal
500g Biscuit

Hops: Cascade, Chinook and Williamette
(Generally reckoned to be the Prooer Job hops)

US05 Yeast (my favourite)

Should come in around 4.8%. Reckon it'll be any good?

Thanks for all this. I also couldn't see the recipes until I looked on a desktop browser. Plenty to chew on there but I'm surprised by how simple many of the Proper Job-style recipes are. Can you really get good results with one LME and DME, no steeped grains?

I was told by someone who works in a brewery that my extract only beer was a dead ringer for dead pony club. I wasn't impressed :lol: I thought it was better than that, perhaps he kept it for 6-8 weeks before drinking it :grin:

with an extra light or light dme and 1 packet of dwe you can do great hop forward beers without need for grains. Just dont expect it to be as cheap as AG :whistle: Same does for wheat beers.

I do steep grains, mini mash as well but never ever do a full volume boil and I only do 15-20 min boils.

So here's recipe I'm going with. Let me know your thoughts:

1.5kg Marris Otter extract
500g DME Wheat
(Both suggested on the traditional bitter thread)
500g DME Extra Light

500g Munich
(Sggested for nuttiness)
500g Crystal
500g Biscuit

Hops: Cascade, Chinook and Williamette
(Generally reckoned to be the Prooer Job hops)

US05 Yeast (my favourite)

Should come in around 4.8%. Reckon it'll be any good?
You need to consider the quantities of hops you are going to use and how long each will be in the boil, to achieve the IBUs you want. You are probably aware that the longer they are boiled (up to a point) the more bittering will be their contribition relative to their % aa. Short boil hops are added mostly for flavour, especially so at heat off.

Back