Where to find: Swing top bottles and apples, LOTS of them..?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-A-D

Reaction score
I live in Northumberland.

I have zero social media presence (deliberately).

Now, where can one obtain swing top bottles (the cheapest I have found is £1 each)...

And where might I find large quantities of apples? At the moment I brew with supermarket juice, but I am looking at other options.

Where do you guys get your stuff? :mrgreen:

Most HB shops have swing top bottles at about a quid each, you could keep an eye on your local gumtree for cheap second hand ones. Failing that you could pay about £1.50 for Grolsch bottles that contain free beer. The best I've seen was geterbrewed before xmas for 12 x 750ml kilner bottles for about a tenner but i live close by so had no delivery charge on top of that.

The Range (and there are 2 outlets in Newcastle) do 12 bottles for #10 pounds. Alternatively look on eBay. Theres some one in York who has loads for sale. Just search for Grolsch Bottles

Cheers buddy. I was keeping a lazy eye on Evilbay but its good to know I can get the bottles for less than the magic £1 each locally. I would just buy and drink Grolsch but Im not overly fond of it (its ok but I dont like it enough to drink enough to get enough bottles enough with the enoughs!)

Balliihoo do them in amber at 1.30 a bottle but you can get discount if using voucher code available to all. 10%. For some reason the clear ones are more expensive. Minimum order to avoid postage though.

I live in Northumberland.

I have zero social media presence (deliberately).

Now, where can one obtain swing top bottles (the cheapest I have found is �£1 each)...

And where might I find large quantities of apples? At the moment I brew with supermarket juice, but I am looking at other options.

Where do you guys get your stuff? :mrgreen:

For the apples you might want to cozy up to a tree surgeon. I've a buddy up here who does that, and can get his hands on loads of apples when its peak season. Well worth it, as they'll go to waste otherwise.

as they'll go to waste otherwise.

+1.

Most people who have an apple tree in their garden have more apples than they can cope with and will be thankful you'll take the apples away and do something with them.

Last autumn I collected apples from 3 gardens. Enough for 120l of juice. I'm planning on upping the game a bit this year and putting a wanted advert in our local community newsletter. Apples in exchange for some freshly squeezed juice and cider when it's ready.

for your apples you could try a wholesale fruit and veg market they normally have a lot of waste stuff
which could be used to make cider give them a try

I've got 48 of them bottles from the range, I couldn't find any cheaper at the time and I spent a lot of time looking. If I remember right they didn't charge for delivery either.
I also got about 50 grolsch bottles the hard way, I suppose if you think of the glass as actually being worth a pound a time, then 50p for a pint of acceptable lager isn't a bad deal, but then you've actually got to drink the stuff and it gets a bit same you after a while believe me!

Latest posts

Back