Confusing malt!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie93

Reaction score
Found a recipe I would like to try. It just says malt extract, is spray malt just as good as malt extract? Can anyone help? Thanks

Ok thanks. Is it ok to make beer wort with it?. What's wheat malt too?

Ok thanks. Is it ok to make beer wort with it?. What's wheat malt too?

Yeah, wort is exactly what it is for. Probably best to check your recipe for whether it needs liquid malt extract (LME) or dry malt extract (DME, aka spraymalt), as DME will make a stronger beer than the same quantity of LME. Wheat malt is malted wheat grain. You can also get wheat malt extracts, both liquid and dried, which are concentrated (LME) or dried (DME) worts made from a mixure of wheat malt and barley malt.

Ok thank you. You've been a great help. When I looked it up it said spray malt is a substitute for sugar. My recipe just says malt extract it dose not say liquid or dried.

No worries. If you post the recipe and how strong it is suppose to be I could probably tell you which one is intended. For instance, 2kg of LME used to make 15L of wort will give an abv of about 3.8%, while 2kg of DME would give an abv of 4.6%, so its possible to back calculate.

It's a really basic recipe.
60g of hops
400g of sugar
900g malt extract
4 teaspoons of dried brewing yeast.

Any reason why you want to try the recipe?

It doesn't say how strong it's supposed to be and doesn't say whether it's light, medium or dark malt extract

Sorry, it isn't helpful. It isn't a recipe, but a list of poorly described ingredients. How about this as a simple recipe instead, for making 8 litres of beer at around 4.5% ABV. Probably the cheapest and simplest way to make decent extract beer. All you need is some tubing for syphoning and a pot that you can boil 5 litres in:

Ingredients:
1kg medium dry malt extract (light DME is ok too)
50g Cascade hops (around 7% alpha acid)
Half a packet of yeast (such as Fermentis US-05, or the Gervin ale yeast from Wilko)

Method:
(1) Mix the malt extract into 5 litres of water in a large pot, and bring to the boil
(2) Once boiling, add 15g of the hops, wait 25 minutes, add another 15g hops, wait 5 minutes then turn off the heat and cool the pot down in a sink of ice water. While cooling, add the final 20g hops.
(3) Once the hops have settled and the beer is cooled to around 20-22 Celcius, syphon off into two 5L plastic water bottles (like the ones you get at Tesco), leaving the solid hop material behind.
(4) Top the water bottles up to the shoulder and add a quarter pack of yeast to each. Screw the lids on and give them a good shake. Then loosen the lids enough so that air can escape during the next step: fermentation.
(5) Keep them somewhere dark and fairly warm (18 to 22C) for two weeks to ferment.
(6) Syphon the beer into bottles, being careful not to disturb the sediment, and add about 1tsp of sugar per 500ml of beer (so 2tsp if you are using plastic 1L bottles)
(7) Leave them somewhere dark and warm again for another couple of weeks to carbonate, then somewhere cool for two more weeks. Ta-da! Your first beer is ready.

Well it's my first time and it seems pretty straight forward. Sorry my fault, it dose say light malt extract.

Thanks that's a great recipe. Could you use a fermenting bin? Instead of bottle, as I already have the bin and I would have to source bottles?. And instead of bottles, could I put it in a pressure barrel?.

Yeah, you can put in in a pressure, but if its a 5 gallon pressure barrel then you'll want to put more beer in it to keep the amount of head room down. You can buy bottles or reuse them. Some people use the bottles from the cheap 2L 17p sparking water from the supermarket. If you already have a 5 gallon (23L) fermenting buck, then perhaps your first brew should be a kit instead. Premium kits come with everything included, and you won't have to do a boil. There are loads of guides online, here is one that will be worth reading through.

Ok. I have checked and the pressure barrel is a 5 gallon. But I think il just use bottles if there only 17p. So il need 2 right?. I have used kits for many years, I just want to give making it from scratch ago. Have you brewed this recipe before?

Ok thank you. You've been a great help. When I looked it up it said spray malt is a substitute for sugar. My recipe just says malt extract it dose not say liquid or dried.

DME = dried malt extract
DWE = dried wheat extract
LME = liquid malt extract
LWE = liquid wheat extract

Muntons do most....

http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/category/canned-malt-extracts/

http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/category/spraymalts/

they're my goto extracts altoguht i've had a few briess cans

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm

Ok. I have checked and the pressure barrel is a 5 gallon. But I think il just use bottles if there only 17p. So il need 2 right?. I have used kits for many years, I just want to give making it from scratch ago. Have you brewed this recipe before?

Not this one exactly, but I got the impression that this was your first brew. The recipe is for a very simple American pale ale. The sparkling water bottles are 2 litres each, so you'll need four for 8 litres of beer.

I have been given some whitbread golding hops, are these ok to use with this recipe?

Back